Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sewing Machine to use with Grace Quilting Frame

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
grannyQuilts1

Re: Sewing Machine to use with Grace Quilting Frame

Post by grannyQuilts1 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:02 pm

i have had my Grace frame for 2 years now and have always used my singer. since i was looking for a machine with a larger throat i contacted Grace company and this is the response i received, they have always been really helpful with any questions i have ask......
Barbara,
Here are some companies that have a Mid Arm that will work on the GMQ Pro....
Bailey,
HQ16
Gammill Primiere
Nolting

Hope that helps you.
Sally,
The Grace Company

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:24 am

I'd go for the HQ16 - I tried one at the quilt show - was super!

Ann74

Post by Ann74 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:07 pm

I HAVE HAD A LITTLE GRACIE FRAME FOR ABOUT THREE YEARS AND HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO USE IT YET. I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH THE THREAD BUNCHING UP AND BREAKING AND I CONTACTED THE COMPANY TOO. THEY TRIED TO HELP TO NO AVAIL. NOW THEY DON'T EVEN ANSWER MY CALLS. I'M THINKING NOW OF BUYING THEIR LASER WHICH I HAVE HEARD IS AVAILABLE FOR LITTLE GRACIE FRAMES. I USE A JANOME MEMORY CRAFT P6500 WHICH WAS USED WITH THE FRAME AT THE SHOW I ATTENDED WHEN I PURCHASED THE FRAME AND THE MACHINE. I HAVE ALSO TRIED MY BERNINE--SAME THING HAPPENS. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE SEEN THIS SAME COMPLAINT AS MINE. I CAN'T GET ON THE COMPUTER OFTEN TO CHECK. I'LL TRY TO LOOK MORE OFTEN. IT WOULD BE SO NICE TO BE ABLE TO USE THIS FRAME. ANOTHER THING IS THAT I DON'T HAVE ENDLESS TIME TO PRACTICE AND TRY TO WORK IT OUT. IT GETS FRUSTRATING.

Cynluvs2quilt

Post by Cynluvs2quilt » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:10 pm

I have a Grace frame with a Janome 1600 and I love it!! It does take a little time for tweaking, but once you get the hang of it....life is suddenly great!! And I agree, with TMF, Coats & Clark seemed to fray up and break, NOT MY FAVORITE BRAND AT ALL!! Don't waste your money on it for quilting, not worth the cussing!!

ksomeit

Post by ksomeit » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:15 am

I have found that Superior King Tut thread is the best for quilting, it is on the pricey side, but well worth it in less breakage.

It comes in wonderful colors and simply have provided me the best results.

MaggieLou

Post by MaggieLou » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:05 am

I have the GMQ and have used it for about 5 years. I recently purchased a used Brother PQ1500S. I am having trouble with thread breakage. It will sew fine for several rows and then start breaking every 6-12 inches. It is driving me crazy. I have tried several brands of thread and it does it to all of them. Off the gracie it doesn't happen. Any suggestions, Thanks, Maggie

johnnica

Post by johnnica » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:15 am

Hi. I'm a newbee. I work for the viking company and help set up the quilting frames that we sell. The are from the grace company also. One of my customers was having the same type of trouble and it came down to making sure the rollers on the bed frame were set the same way. If the is a washer on the roller side of one, then all must hae the same set up. It helped her after I went to her house and made sure all was correct.

Cynluvs2quilt

Post by Cynluvs2quilt » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:05 pm

I have also had alot more success with a size 18 needle as well

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:25 am

I was at a show in Edison NJ and was playing around with the grace frame but thiss is all to new to me but they had a baby lock machine on it and it worked fine now I have an elana pro quilters dream and I think that might work but I don't think I will make that kind of investment unless you girls work the bugs out first.

candytallent

Post by candytallent » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:18 pm

I have a Pinnacle Grace Quilting Frame with a Quilter's Pro Plus by Baby Lock. I have had trouble with the tread breaking too and i finally have solved my problem. First OIL and CLEAN your machine in all the holes and bobbin area this is in the manual but is very important. Then check your Presser Foot Pressure (neutral works for me) then make sure you check your Foot Pressure and the Feed Dog Position. These things seem small but i can tell you it will solve your problem. As far as the thread goes i can tell you i use some thread i paid a dollar for at JoAnn Fabric a 3000 yd spool of 100% Polyester overlock thread (cheap stuff) my thread had not broke yet and i have made four kingsize quilts on this frame with this machine..so there you go ladies it is all in oil,clean,PresserFoot Pressure and Feed Dog Position..I hope this helps you. I had to practice trial and error and now i am sewing and quilting with out thread breaking..good luck and remember you do not have to buy expensive thread...not the problem
Candy

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”