Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sewing Machine to use with Grace Quilting Frame

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
TexasSewGal

Sewing Machine to use with Grace Quilting Frame

Post by TexasSewGal » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:27 pm

I am going to be honest with you ladies. I have been reading your comments on this website for months. Enjoy it very much and have learned a great deal just by reading. This is my first time to ask for help and I know that you ladies can help me.

I have only been quilting for about four years now - and love it. I recently purchased a used Grace quilting frame. Have already quilted a small blanket and I am just getting use to working with it. My question is what is the best type of sewing machine to use with the frame? My funds are limited and have purchased on Ebay a older model Singer Sewing Machine with an industrial strength motor. The machine sews like a dream until I put it on the frame. The bobbin gets tangled constantly and it breaks threads and needles left and right. It is very flustrating. Wondering if any of you have had similiar type problem with the sewing machine you use on the frame and have found a solution. The frame is a dream. I would appreciate all of your suggestions.

TooMuchFabric

Re: Sewing Machine to use with Grace Quilting Frame

Post by TooMuchFabric » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:44 pm

I have the Baby Lock Professional Quilter. It has the 9 inch arm. I really like it and it does great. I have the stitch regulator and that is a really nice addition. I had trouble with thread breaking (I was using Coats & Clark) until I bought thread from the sewing machine store. Now it works great.

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:37 am

I'm using a Juki TL98Q. Amie

lhostelley

Post by lhostelley » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:59 am

I have the baby lock professional quilter.I love it. Haven't had any problems.
Linda

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:44 am

TexasSewGal - I also bought a Grace frame and put my Janome 6600 on. It sews like a charm until you put it on the frame and then I have the same problems as you plus some. I have gotten no support from the company and I guy I bought it from is a wholesale dealer and hasn't a clue. I have over $1500 invested in it and still am paying for long arm quilting. I am leaving it alone until after the holidays and then will try again. I did read/hear somewhere that only the thin batting works, it has to be loaded just right, and the clamps on the sides of the fabric have to pulled just the right tension.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

towens71

Post by towens71 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:25 am

I have the Hinterberg Frame and the Janome 1600P, which is a great machine. However, it sounds like you may be able to use what you have, but adjust the tension, change the needle etc. There is a lot of tweeking you can do or might try to see if your problems are solved. There is a great Yahoo group, specifically for domestic machine w/ frames, they are so helpful and have great checklists: here is the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PfaffHobbyGrandQuilter/

Though if you are able to purchase a longer armed machine, you will probably be happier, as you hone your skills and tackle larger quilts, there are several available, as have been mentioned here.

Good luck
Traci

mardigrasgirl

Post by mardigrasgirl » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:36 am

Hi,
I am new to this site I have the grace pinnacle frame with the babylock professional machine I love the set up. Just got back from the houston quilt show and had a book signed by Eleanor Burns we had a great time there.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:26 pm

Mardigras - welcome to this site. I was also at the quilt show. I shopped on Friday and took Eleanor's class on Saturday. Isn't it a FUN time? Did you get pumped to quilt quilt quilt??? Now when someone asks me what my favorite day of the year is I must say that it's the Friday/Saturday of the Houston Int'l Quilt Festival!!!! Anyway, glad you are here. It's the best forum ever. A great bunch of folks here!

TexasSewGal

Post by TexasSewGal » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:19 pm

Sorry it has been a while since I logged back on. Have read your comments and suggestions. Thanks everyone for their input. WeSignificant it sounds like you and I have very similiar problems. Towens71 thanks for the web site information. I got onto that web site and from that web site I found out that there a web site for Grace Frame Quilters. That web site is Gracemachineframe@yahoogroups.com
I joined that group and have already received a great number of emails from people like me who are having the same type of problems. Maybe working together we can figure out what I am doing wrong. Thanks everyone and please keep your comments coming. Quilters are the greatest people.

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:46 am

HQ16 Long Arm is great!!! Buy GOOD thread for your machine...adjust tensions; these will help.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”