Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Bonded Batting for Bearding?

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
SFOQuilter

Bonded Batting for Bearding?

Post by SFOQuilter » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:23 pm

I am having a really hard time with bearding on a dark green quilt back and would love to have any suggestions. I read that bonded battings may help??

[/img]

HomespunMary

Re: Bonded Batting for Bearding?

Post by HomespunMary » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:05 am

Is the batting you've used polyester? And, what kind of thread do you use?

I really don't have any good solutions, and I don't know what bonded batting is, but have you tried using a thinner needle, or some kind of slightly shiny thread (such as the rayon thread)? I think these would be the first things I tried...

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:53 am

I wonder if it's your needle, in addition to the batting? I found that using Schmetz sewing machine needles made a BIG difference when I machine quilt (which admittedly isn't very often, and only on smaller projects). There was a thread here not too long ago about batting; maybe that would help?

Carole

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:33 pm

what kind of batting are you using - I have seen this worse with certain types of batting - I use warm and natural and it has not been an issue - early on i let my customers supply their own batting as long as it was not mountain mist - i did this because i was just starting and did not have batting to offer for sale and also so i could try different types of batting - some kinds were worse than others

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:38 am

I always use bonded poly batting for my little kids quilts, but have never had the problem that your photo shows. I would try a bonded type and see if that doesn't help. I also use cotton and the cotton/poly blends, but still have never experience the amount you seem to be showing....I would try a smaller needle along with the other suggestions made here by other quilters.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:32 am

SFO - it looks like your needle might have a burr on it and it's catching the batting and pulling it through. I've never seen bearding quite so bad as in your photo.

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:50 am

SFOQuilter, did you get your bearding problem worked out?

Carole
trying to think about something normal...

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”