Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Design ideas for quilting flying geese, anyone?

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
HomespunMary

Design ideas for quilting flying geese, anyone?

Post by HomespunMary » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:55 pm

I've spent this whole weekend making a gazillion of flying geese units, for a queen size "Wild goose chase" quilt, and with such a repetitious work one has to dream, right...? So, even though it is probably several months before I'm at the stage of quilting this quilt, I tried to amuse myself by thinking of diffrent ways to quilt the actual geese. But, can hardly come up with any ideas at all...

I would like to avoid to stitch them in the ditch (queen size, on my regular sewing machine, well, you get the picture, LOL) and I don't think I want to free hand the 1/4 seam that I see a lot of people do on the geese. Has anyone done or seen any fun ways to quilt the flying geese units? I would love to hear any ideas for free motion motifs for geese!

My units are 1-1/2" x 3", and there's 384 of them, so it can't be too elaborate... :-)

kadie

Re: Design ideas for quilting flying geese, anyone?

Post by kadie » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:06 pm

How about ...feathers....

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:15 pm

I quilted a flying geese (goose?) by repeating the triangle stitching, but not in the ditch...move up about 1/4"-1/2" and sew above each unit. I wish I could draw it for you.

I just sent it to you.

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:05 am

Thanks, calico!

Kadie, yeah, I've actually seen some great feather designs for flying geese, but I'm thinking my geese are probably too small for that...

MastiffMomQlt

Post by MastiffMomQlt » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:51 am

I was just in that position a few weeks ago with my queen sized flying goose quilt. I started to do continious curves but I did't like what was going on. I decided that I like my free motion whimsical quilting better, so that's what I did. I posted a pic of it about 2 weeks ago in the photo section. Hope that helps. The post is called geese in flight (I think).

Mastiff Mom--
Caren

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:08 am

Mastiff Mom, thanks. I looked at it again and it is so beautiful! I think you definitely did the right choice with the "whimsical quilting". But, since I'm making the "Wild goose chase", I've decided to do motifs (at least that's waht I think I've decided right now, LOL) in the squares between the geese, so would also like to do something small on the individual geese...

MastiffMomQlt

Post by MastiffMomQlt » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:15 pm

HSMary--You go girl!! I can hardly wait to see what your brilliant mind & talented hands create!!!!!

Mastiff Mom--
Caren

Littlebit

Post by Littlebit » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:00 pm

Check out the quilting in these flying geese

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:09 am

Gosh, Littlebit - that quilting is gorgeous. Instead of geese it looks like doves to me. I'm impressed!

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:22 am

Littlebit - wow! What an awesome quilt! And, had I not been such a beginner, I think I'd try to do this geese design... Maybe I'll try it anyway... I love it! Thank you so much for posting the pic!

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”