Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

can I use this thread for LA quilting

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
quiltingranny

can I use this thread for LA quilting

Post by quiltingranny » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:28 am

Hi everyone. A friend of mine gave me a HUGE spool of thread. It is CONSO HT MONOFIL is says it is silicone finish monofilament nylon. She used it on a commercial blind hemmer machine doing drapes. Can this be used on a long arm machine? if so what do I use in the bobbin? thanks QG

saftasgarden

Re: can I use this thread for LA quilting

Post by saftasgarden » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:27 pm

the professional quilter that is next door to our quilt shop says use superior thread. You can get it in prewound bobbins or on cones and fill the bobbins your self. She also said unless you are really experienced (I am not -- yet!) you will need to practice on muslin or equivalent until you get it right. Hope this helps.

quiltingranny

Post by quiltingranny » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:24 am

thanks So does this mean I can use the thread my friend gave me and use the superior on the bobbin or not ude the thread my friend gave me instead use the superior?

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:19 am

I keep waiting for one of the other longarmers to answer your question. The only thread I have used on mine is Superior's Sew Fine. So I don't really know about the others. I know on my domestic machine I use monofiliment with Bottom Line in the bobbin. You can't put the monofiliment in the bobbin. I haven't really heard of any longarmers using a lot of monofiliment, but that doesn't mean they don't. I just really don't know. It might be a little tricky with the tension.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:35 am

I have used a variety of threads - I have a friend who is also a long arm quilter - our policy is try it and see - that is what I would do let us know

quiltingranny

Post by quiltingranny » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:48 pm

Well I guess i give it a try. This is such a huge spool probably 7 incess tall 11 inches around and the thread is about 1.5 inches thick...really huge if it works i would never have to buy again! I
ll let you know if it works qg

Tiggersmom

Post by Tiggersmom » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:47 pm

As a longarmer I've used monofil in the top and regular thread [superior perma core] in the bobbin. In my Bernina I've used the monofil in the bobbin and the top.

You won't really know how it will work until you have tried it.
Just make sure your monfil is the .004 as it is soft and should not kink up like the stiffer monfil/nylon . . .. I would also test it to be sure it does not melt when touched with an iron.

Nadine2007

Post by Nadine2007 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:00 am

I use superior (king tut) and perm core tex 30. I use these to piece my quilts too. I give my mil the nylon threads to use with her machine embroidery she likes it.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”