Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Machine Quilting a sampler quilt

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
belletaine

Machine Quilting a sampler quilt

Post by belletaine » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:45 pm

I have two sampler quilts with the sampler blocks set on point, white or cream between the sampler blocks. I was thinking of machine quilting a constant pattern in each of those blocks, but what about the sampler blocks--how or what pattern is good for them? I need help. Thank you

cindyg

Re: Machine Quilting a sampler quilt

Post by cindyg » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:13 am

I was wondering the same thing because I'm going the Egg Money BOM.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:44 am

When I do a sampler quilt for myself I take advantage of the word sampler and quilt each block differently. I then get a sample of quilting also. I did not used to do that but saw it in a book and was so awed I do the same thing. The sashing, posts, and borders I remain consistent with. Give it a whirl you may love the idea.

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:09 am

I would do like gardenquilter. I quilted each block of my Underground Railroad Quilt differently and liked the process as well as the results. It gets really hard to remember that there aren't any special rules in this quilting art if we are going to continue to be creative!

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:31 pm

I agree with calicopuzzle; be creative. Have fun. Do what YOU like best. There are NO quilt police. Especially of this is your own personal quilt. Do whatever you want. Good Luck. Let us know what you decided.

grandmajuki

Post by grandmajuki » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:47 am

I just finished a sampler for a friend and I used a Brother 1500 / PCQ along with Max and quilted each 12" block different. It was fun after all it is a sampler so thought each block ought to be different.
Judy

MastiffMomQlt

Post by MastiffMomQlt » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:00 am

Will you please post a pic of it when you are done?

MM

towens71

Post by towens71 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:18 am

Do any of you have any good books that you reference when finding/searching for ideas for quilting motifs? I'm currently quilting an underground railroad quilt and am doing just in the ditch at this point. I want to come back and so something else alittle more creative, but am at a total loss! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Traci

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:21 am

Traci - try an internet search for "pantograph", that should help. I've been to several LQS that have books, but I don't know who they are by.... I've gotten one, but I don't remember who it was by.

Great ideas on doing a sampler quilt with different samples of machine quilting! We do sometimes (at least I do) that this is also an ART form and we all have artistic expression in our quilts.

Cindy

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”