Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Juki98Q, Handy Quilter100, B-lline or Gracie?

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Oasis

Juki98Q, Handy Quilter100, B-lline or Gracie?

Post by Oasis » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:40 am

I just came from a website that show all of these. My question: Can the Juki98Q be used alone or do I need to have one of the "racks" to go with it? I also saw a "Janome Gem" that I assume will fit into the moving part of the "racks".

Which does each of you have or recommend?
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

cindyg

Re: Juki98Q, Handy Quilter100, B-lline or Gracie?

Post by cindyg » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:54 am

Oasis, I'm not sure what you mean by a 'rack'. My Juki sits on a trolley thinger and the trolley has handles on both sides with a control button. I hope that answers your question.

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:36 pm

It's the big structure that I've seen the quilts rolled up on. I'm not sure what they are called.

Do you like your Juki? Did the trolley thinger come with the Juki or is it a separate piece? I don't have the room for anything big but the Juki is less expensive than a Bernina if I'm just going to free motion with it.
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:42 pm

Oh, I think I know what you are asking. You can use a Juki as you would a normal sewing machine. My B-line frame is that big thinger that extends to 10', has three bars plus the take up bar and the trolley thinger that your machine sits on. The trolley is what moves from side to side and front to back with the machine sitting on it to do the stitching. If you are looking for a regular sewing machine to do quilting on (like free motion) my Janome has a 9" throat which gives you more room for manuvering a quilt thru there. I have a Janome MC6600P. It also has a built-in walking foot to use for stitch in the ditch.

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:00 am

I have the Little Gracie II with a Baby Lock Professional Quilter. The machine has the 9 inch throat. The frame extends from a baby quilt (60") width to a queen size width. They even make a larger frame but it would take more room. I have not quilted a quilt yet. I'm still in the learning stage. The machine came with an extension table. It had the walking foot included as well as the patchwork foot and several others. It only straight stitches. It is a very sturdy machine and stitches up to 1000 spm. I had compared others and found it to be the best choice for me because of space and price. I purchased the stitch regulator, templates, and laser. I just love what I have done on it so far.

I am looking for sources for quilting patterns. I am not good enough to do anything without a guide.

Bonniec21

Post by Bonniec21 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:09 am

My hubby just got me a quilting frame like the Little Gracie II and I have no instructions with it so can anyone help me. I would like to know the best way to put the backing, batting and top on the frame. Any tips on the frame would be appreciated. Thanks

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:36 am

Thanks for the comments and information.

I'll look into the Janome and Baby Lock. Looks like I need the largest "Throat" so will do some more research. Need to get some measurements on the B-Line and the Gracie II.

My next question: Can you buy these at a dealer or are they only online for purchase? I would definitely need some directions. I would really like to try one before I buy.
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:07 pm

Oasis - I got mine from Bayside quilting. You can go on line. They are in CA but I'm not sure where. They were here at the quilt show and I bought mine from them while they were here. It came with tons of instructions. Anyway if you are close enough to them you could go there and test drive some.

quilter916

Post by quilter916 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:16 am

I am in the process of buying a quilting frame and machine but am very confused as to what kind of frame and what type of machine to get to go with it. I have a Bernina 640E that I do all my blocks on but now I need to Quilt them. I have seen the NewJoy but I need some help from all of you who know MUCH more than I do. Thanks so much
Sue

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:22 am

Quilter916 - There is such a wide range of quilting frames and machines out there. Can you narrow it down some? How much space do you have? Do you want a permanent set up or a portable? Do you have a budget in mind (don't say this to us but you need to know that for yourself)? What size quilts will you normally do on this machine? Are there dealers close to you where you can go and test drive quilting machines?

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”