Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Disappointed

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Ann74

Re: Disappointed

Post by Ann74 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:01 am

Whatever any of you do, get a stitch regulator if possible. I cannot use my Little Gracie due to the same problems WeSignificant has. I've had it for 4 years now. My DD wants to try when she retires which will be years from now. I use a Janome Memory Craft 6500 with it and get lots of thread buildup and tension problems. I am afraid I don't have the patience needed to iron out these problems as well as stitch size---takes practice practice practice and I don't have that kind of time. When I have time to sew, I want and need to sew. I MUST have even stitches!

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:39 pm

I have the Little Gracie with the stitch regulator and it does great. I did have trouble with the bobbin thread bunching until I changed the brand of thread I was using.

kequilter

Post by kequilter » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:14 pm

I see several with a B-line frame? How many feet long is it? I was looking at the Gracie online and it says 7ft. I don`t have room for one that long. Also, has anyone used a John Flynn frame? I bought parts for it over 2yr. ago and never did get the wood rails to go with it since we were moving from PA to FL.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:56 pm

kequilter - my B-line frame can be 6' or 8'. It may even go to 10' but I haven't used it that much yet so I'm not sure. I have an 8' banquet table and the B-line sits on it end to end. Mine is the table top, portable model. I can break it down and box it up when I don't need it.

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:39 am

cindyg...your method sounds easy and must work well. I will be hand quilting one crib size quilt, and, I will want to machine quilt my
Cat quilt....I plan to practice on samples FIRST, LOL....I'm hoping I can do it on my machine as I don't own a LA YET!!

grandmajuki

Post by grandmajuki » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:24 am

I started with a Brother 1500 and the HQII frame not much money involved and then went to PCQ and the Max Throat... Have now graduated to the HQ16 and the Pro frame from HQ... still using the PCQ.. If you haven't heard of PCQ go to www.pcq.com it is wonderful. Just finished a sampler for a friend and quilted each square different ... can't think of anyother way to quilt
J

grandmajuki

Post by grandmajuki » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:25 am

One more thing in looking for a machine to quilt with consider where the bobbin goes in. If on top you'll have to take off your quilt or if on a frame slide your machine to the end of frame to get to the bobbin . My bobbin goes in the end.. so can get to it easily.
J

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:54 pm

1quiltinnana - I looked - my B-Line frame goes to 12'. Just FYI.

grandmajuki

Post by grandmajuki » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:26 am

For those of you that have a frame and 9" throat machine check out the PCQuilter site and look at Max Throat.... Gives the 9" throat machines about 15" of usable space to quilts. It's a great product

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:42 pm

Grandmajuki - do you have a MaxThroat?

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”