Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Disappointed

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
ksomeit

Re: Disappointed

Post by ksomeit » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:18 am

I purchased a Mega Quilter and 10ft frame in Oct 2006, to see if I could learn to machine quilt, without spending too much money on a machine upfront.

I have now worn/grown out the system - The Viking machine is still working great (after we finally got the correct foot on it) but I realize now how much more I could do with a larger machine.

So now I am trying to figure a way to get my full size long arm machine with a 14 ft frame.

I need a strudier frame, larger thoat, and more precise movement.

I do all free motion, I do not like the panographs - I look at them for ideas but end up doing free motion.

Have any of you ready to move up to a long arm or prefer free motion quilting??

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:56 am

I think the basting thing is different for everyone, and everyone does their own way. I say...if it works don't change. I just do it the way I was taught, and I'm used to it. Basting is more important I think when you are doing panotgraphs and quilt off the edge. I don't do customer quilts, but I do leave the basting in.

I do get tired of pantographs, and enjoy working from the front of the machine. I like to do meandering with butterflies, dragonflies, flowers and leaves in an over-all. I'm not too good at doing a free-motion design that looks like a pantograph. I lose track too easily.

kadie

Post by kadie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:34 pm

cindyg

Yep. We both have the same idea now.Thanks

qltsbme

Post by qltsbme » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:55 am

When I do float my top (and I usually don't) I still baste down the sides as I go along my quilt.

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:57 pm

Georgiapeach.....My friend has the HQ16 long arm...she loves it. It is very nice! It takes practice on any of them though. She uses the stitch regulator and it is great. She has learned that the weight and kind of thread you use in it makes a HUGE difference! She buys large cones of threads at $20.00 each for hers. The better threads.....Check out the frame for it also...may need to be sure of length and measurements there....get a good demonstration.

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:55 pm

maybe the reason not much decussions lots of quilters me for one do not know anything about longarm i just do regular quilting on my babylock espire but i still check this site out anyway ollie1shoe

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:57 pm

GP, I took a class a few months ago on the HQ16 and I really enjoyed it. If I could afford one I would love to get this machine in a heart beat. I do remember the instructor saying that she was not crazy about the frame, but I can't remember what type of frame she had at home on hers. She also said that the type of thread really made a difference and she gave us a list of recommended threads.

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:17 am

I tried the HQ16 at the fair, liked it ok, but I'm leaning towards a Janome with a Gracie frame. I liked the Gracie frame better, as the spools where you put the unquilted back, batting and top are lower than on the HQ16.

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:50 am

Cindyb - I have a gracie frame and Janomie and have never been able to get it to work. Not a lot of support from the company either. The machine works fine off the frame, but all kinds of tension problems one the frame. I think after the holidays I will give it one more try and then If I can't get it, it is for sale. Have a stitch regulator also too no avail.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:23 am

WeSignif - I had a problem, too. My problem was that I didn't have the bars all level with each other and, also, I had my fabric stretched a little too tightly. After that, no problem. I have a Juki on a B-line frame. When your Janome is not on the frame try running a quilt sandwich thru it and see if you have any tension problems. I would think that the same tension would work if your quilt was on the frame so it must be the way the fabric is in the frame. Just a thought.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”