Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

RENTING A LONG ARM MACHINE

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Jasinta

RENTING A LONG ARM MACHINE

Post by Jasinta » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:05 am

My oldest sister lives near Sacramento, CA and her Joann's store, has a long arm quilting machine that has a laser, and easy for even a beginner to use. She said that they rent it. Anyone ever here about that?

lhostelley

Re: RENTING A LONG ARM MACHINE

Post by lhostelley » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:38 am

Some of the quilt shops in the Denver metro area will let you rent time on their long arms. I have never checked into the price, but it is a good idea. So many people do not have the room for one in their owne homes, or the money to purchase one.

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:29 pm

There is a shop that I know of that rents time on their HQ16 as long as you have taken their class on how to use it. I don't know how much it is per hour.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:29 pm

there is a quilt shop in fayetteville, nc that sells gamill it is my understanding that they will rent time on their machines - have not talked to them personally though

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:20 pm

That sounds great. I would love to try one.
Lori 8-)

CoyoteQuilts

Post by CoyoteQuilts » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:47 pm

There is a Singer store in Mesa, AZ that teaches on a gammil & rents it out by the hour or day. Last I checked--last year it was $100. to learn, $20 and hour or $100 a day. I know these machines are expensive, but I thought that was a little steep. If you could load & complete 4 quilt tops in 1 day it might be worth it. Plus for me it is at least an hours drive in city traffic.

lv2create

Post by lv2create » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:17 am

I rent time on my LQS longarm. $16 and hour but we must also buy and use her batting and that's fine with me she is priced fine and I'm sure she doesn't want to mess with tension etc for different battings on her expensive machine. She is also there to help and give tips so it's a bargin. I'm heading there on my lunch hour to finish a project.

qltsbme

Post by qltsbme » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:25 am

Our longarm machines are very expensive. Repairing them is very expensive. Liability insurance is very expensive. Remember, too, that when someone else is on that machine, the shop cannot be using the machine for a quilt they have to do and time is money. $100 a day to rent one is not unreasonable. Don't expect to be able to load and quilt four quilts in a day. Trying to quilt for an entire day without a break would wipe out the most seasoned quilter. There is also a learning curve to longarm quilting. Knowing the concept of using the machine - even the techniques of using a machine is so much different than actually sewing on that machine.

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:35 am

I let the local sewing machine shop have my utility quilt tops to use on their demonstrator quilting machines. It gets quilted with many different designs and I get the quilt done and customers get to learn on a quilt. The shop saves money by not having to furnish fabric or batting for the demonstrator machines. If you aren't ticky about the quilting design this would be a good way to get a quilt quilted. I give most of these quilts to local shelters, even the humane society for larger animal use.

Jasinta

Post by Jasinta » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:29 pm

Thank you, for all the input. Someday I would like to learn to use one and even buy one, but for now I'm happy with my standard machine. I was just curious to see if this was available everywhere.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”