Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Feeddogs up or down?

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
ollie1shoe

Re: Feeddogs up or down?

Post by ollie1shoe » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:13 pm

cant wait to try this out up are down just proud i found out this is a option ollie1shoe

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:43 pm

I still think it would be difficult to move the item being quilted to the front and to the sides when the feed dogs are trying to move it to the back.....It would be ok if you were only quilting in one direction, or turning the quilt, but when free-motion, you are sewing in all four directions and not turning the quilt.... it is like a salmon swimming upstream...don't see how that can make it easier.

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:45 pm

calicopuzzle, that's exactly how I thought as well, until I accidentally forgot to lower the feed dogs and realized that for some very odd reason it worked just a s good as with the feed dogs down, if not better!

It can't be done with a regular presser foot. You need a darning foot of some kind, which doesn't come down as close towards the feed dogs as a regular foot. With the darning foot, there is a larger "vertical space" for the quilt sandwich, so that it can move around more freely. The stitch lenght is also generally recommended to be set at 0. That way, the feeds dogs are not moving the fabric in any particular direction, which is why it doesn't affect the way you go with your stitches, up, down, or sideways...

So, try it! You may find that you like it!

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:31 am

calico give it a try - when I first read about it I thought no way but believe me way - give it a shot - I never go only in one direction on my small machine - besides it is easier if i dont have to pick up my machine to lower the feed dogs and when the feed dogs are up for some reason I don't have to play with the tension - I forgot to change it one time and waalaa -

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:18 pm

I will try it....promise....I will try it....promise.....

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:10 am

rotf lol have you tried it yet

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:55 am

Okay....I tried it. I just did some free-motion for practice. I switched back and forth and even sewed without looking so I would concentrate on the feel instead of where I was going....sounds scientific already, doesn't it? LOL Sewing with the feed dogs up causes some resistance to the fabric...that is true and that is why it feels like you have more control...you most likely do....BUT, with the feed dogs down, the fabric moves with a smoother flow, ei, I think the circles and loops are a little more fun to do besides there may be less chance of jerky movements. I sew with the sound of the speed of my machine when I free motion. I think that sticking with the rythem I hear of the machine helps me more than anything to stay where I need to be on the design, so I don't feel I need any resistance. Find your own comfort place ladies.....

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:02 am

Ha, ha, calico, that's my kind of girl! Going about it all scientific and without a pre-set mind...:-)

I actually did pretty much the same thing yesterday, although on different areas on the first real quilt I've ever tried free motion on. For me, I really can't say that I notice even the slightest difference any more. I thought I had more control with the feed dogs up, but when I lowered them it seemed nothing was different...

On my machine, it really doesn't cause any noticeable resistance at all to have them up, however. I assume that will vary with different machine brands though...

What I can say for sure, however, is that I've realized that I soooo love free motion quilting! On my previous two quilts, I really hated the "quilting phase" of the process. I even sworn I would never make a quilt again because the actual quilting part was so cumbersome, but now, I just want to finish more quilt tops so I can do some more quilting!!! Yes!!!

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:07 am

Aahh Homespun...you have a good attitude. I also used to be stressed at the quilting phase...now I even do the stitch in the ditch with free-motion..so much more fun than all that walking foot sewing...turning the quilt is also a pain. I think you have a point about the differences in machines. So fun to share with all of you!! At least now I can say, "I did it, I did it!!" lol

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:48 am

calico, I had been wondering about that as well, if some people actually did stitch in the ditch with the darning foot rather than the walking foot... Interesting to hear that you do that! I've been wondering if I should perhaps try on my next quilt, but haven't decided yet...

It is precisely all the turning around of the quilt that I was hoping to avoid with the free motion quilting. I am currently trying it to its extreme, by attempting to do "waves" upside down, just to prove to myself that I don't have to twist and turn the quilt... Can't say they are turning out perfect, but, hey, I consider this my free motion practice quilt, so the odd uneven wave is not allowed to spoil my fun! :-)

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”