Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Turning a corner with a walking foot

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
QuiltingLyon

Turning a corner with a walking foot

Post by QuiltingLyon » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:36 am

I'm working on expending my walking foot topquilting techniques beyond the stitch in the ditch. I'm working with a Janome Jem Golf, and the issue I'm having is that if I try to turn at a right angle, the bobbin pulls up through the bottom and the top stitching isn't a crisp line- you can see wherw the bobbin thread is lassoing the stitches in place.
Any suggestions on how to make a nice crisp corner with a basic machine and walking foot?

rosebud3

Re: Turning a corner with a walking foot

Post by rosebud3 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:25 am

If you are referring to using the walking foot to attach the binding, it will be the same instructions as using any foot. Stitch to the 1/4 inch and stop, with needle down turn the quilt 1/4 turn, backstitch off the edge, fold the binding to form a right angle and continue stitching down second side. Hope this helps. If not look up a youtube video on how to attach binding to a quilt. Good luck.

Mary/Rosebud

auntjana

Re: Turning a corner with a walking foot

Post by auntjana » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:35 am

The problem could be that the stitch is not locking together - the top and the bottom threads. To solve that problem, make sure that the needle is down in the fabric, stop and start the needle back up, j7st a little bit, stop, and then turn your 90 degree angle. By putting the needle down, then just starting the upstroke, the threads will lock together, eliminating that bottom thread miss.

Jana

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”