Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

thread shredding

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Caroline1947

thread shredding

Post by Caroline1947 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:42 am

Hi Friends,I hope someone can help me. I am trying to quilt a crib quilt.The thread keeps shredding andd then breaks.It does it with all my thread.Here's what I have tried. New needles,adjust tension,make sure everything is correctly threaded,check for burrs anywhere.Feed dogs are lowered. As you know I have quilted a lot of things over the past years and never ran into this problem.I'm doing nothing different than I always did.Can someone help???? I'm at wits end.
( This is on a reg. machine,not long arm).

purrfect-lady

Re: thread shredding

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:15 pm

Caroline, I'm not sure I can help you as you've checked about everything I would, but do it all again. Put in a new needle (right size for quilting?), keep working on your tension (don't forget, bobbins have tension, too!), make sure machine is clean & oiled, make sure your thread isn't too old (old thread can shred and break), and machine is threaded correctly. And you might try different weight threads. Also, are you using a hopping foot? And also try a different bobbin. Occasionally bobbins can get out of round and cause problems. I hope something works for you! If not, maybe it's time for a 'spa treatment' for your machine. Or maybe you could simply take it to your dealer and they can help you determine the problem.

Good luck!
mary z

Caroline1947

Post by Caroline1947 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:44 pm

Thanks,I have tried all that and yes,I use a quilting foot.This machine is a domestic quilting machine.I have quilted 100s of things on it.I have never had a problem with needle or thread size,it always worked very well. I am dumbfounded. i don't have a dealer and can't afford it if I did,since hubby died I am in a real pickle.Have to save every cent for moving when a n apartment is available.I can't think of any more tricks,but will try to find a quilting needle and new tfread,although never had to use any special needles before.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:04 pm

You might try a needle made for embroidery thread, the eye is bigger and allows the thread to move thru more freely.

Becca

Post by Becca » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:25 am

Caroline Seems all the bases have been covered.These machines can be tricky at times.Sure hope you can get it worked out. Becca

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Like Jana said, use a needle with a larger eye. It gives the thread more room and less friction. Lori
Lori 8-)

Jeani2u4ever

Post by Jeani2u4ever » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:05 am

I have had the same problem at times but it's not the machine, it's the thread. If you are using a variegated thread pay attention to the colours. If the breakage is at the same section this could be an issue. I believe there are some colours that the dye used weakens the thread fibers. The darker ones have caused the problems for me. Also, some of the thread I used to use broke at about the same length, which would be the connection/continuation of the thread length area.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”