Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Bias tape

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Eliza22

Bias tape

Post by Eliza22 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:12 am

I'm using double fold bias tape and am collecting opinions on the best way to sew it on? Do people like to open it up and sew the back underside first, or is doing it all in one pass more common?

KATHYSQUILTS

Re: Bias tape

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:12 am

Eliza..... I've never used store bought bias tape on a quilt binding because the fabric is of a poor quality. I've used it for flower stems
in applique but the edge of the quilt gets too much stress. There are many ways to make you own bias tape. You can look them up and learn them along the way.

I would open up the binding & lay it flat on the front on the quilt.

Line the edges together(quilt & binding)& sew in the fold line.

When finished bring the binding to the back of the quilt & pin. Be sure there is no empty space in the binding. Then sew. I only pin 3 or 4 pins at a time. I used to pin all the way around it took to long & I was always got stabbed as I sew. (:

There's a neat trick to sewing the 2 ends of the binding together. You should look it up on line. I could never explain it clearly.

There are also several ways to make bias tape.

Hope this helps.......Kathy

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”