Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Machine to buy

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
bigeldm

Machine to buy

Post by bigeldm » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:01 pm

I bought a Gracie quilting frame and I have a Husqvarna sewing machine but it seems like there isn't enough space under the arm to quilt a queen sized quilt. I am very new to this so I don't now all the terminology or what to look for. I really just need a machine that I can use on this quilting frame. I can't tell what to look for when looking for machines. If I search for 'throat' size what does that mean? Do I need a larger throat or arm size for a queen sized quilt? I know I need a stitch regulator but I am lost on what kind of machine to buy and googling isn't helping me much.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a machine that isn't $6k?

RAGANN

Re: Machine to buy

Post by RAGANN » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:55 am

Anything with a 9" throat will help. I use a JULI TL98Q. I've done several queen size quilts. I hear the 'Rockit Blockit' from Kathy Quilts will fit on the Gracie, best to call and ask. It has a 14" throat.

toekeyotow

Re: Machine to buy

Post by toekeyotow » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:05 am

Gracie makes a few different frames, I would look for a machine with at least an 18" throat up to 22" just be sure to tell them what Gracie frame you will be putting in on and they will be able to tell you if it will work on your frame. The larger the throat space the longer the quilt can be. When you roll the quilt it takes up the throat space. Hope this make sense to you.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”