Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

HQ Sapphire 870 - Help!

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Huggabean

HQ Sapphire 870 - Help!

Post by Huggabean » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:40 am

I have a HQ Sapphire 870. I am having problems with thread tangling underneath the bobbin holder. Can't seem to find cause. Help anyone?

LA2quilter

Re: HQ Sapphire 870 - Help!

Post by LA2quilter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:08 am

Hi! I just joined here and came across your post. Wow! I've had the same problem on occasion {same machine) and have found a few things that seem to stop the problem.

The main issue I have is that the bobbin holder needs to seat in the case just so. Otherwise it either wobbles or won't move at all (which creates a major clunking sound when trying to sew). Once I can get it to seat properly, I don't usually have the thread nest issue. I was also beginning to wonder if I needed a new bobbin holder that fit better. This one (came with the machine) has a lot of play to it. May purchase a new one down the road to see if it makes any difference.

Also, I find if I use a quality thread (i.e. Gutermann or the like - for both the top and bottom thread), the machine sews better. At first, I used Coats Cotton Machine Quilting Thread. It left a lot of fuzzies in the bobbin case and I had a lot of thread breakage on top. Not good when you're doing continuous line sewing.

Since doing these two things and sewing a few pieces of scrap material prior to sewing my actual project, I seem to have cut way down on the nesting problem. Must say, though, I think the bobbin case not seating well is the main culprit.

Hope this helps and would like to hear how your sewing goes.

QuiltGram8

Re: HQ Sapphire 870 - Help!

Post by QuiltGram8 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:42 am

I have a saphirre 960. Occasionally I have that, too and it is a simple solution, just bring your bobbin thread up to the top and stitch a few stitches onto a fabric scrap, or hold both threads taunt as you begin to sew.

I have to be very careful when I use the auto tie and cut. I suppose I could get the machine back to my dealer and have an adjustment, but I have learned how to deal with it.

Hope this helps.

Just so you know, even Eleanor reminds us in her tutorials to hold both threads taunt as you begin to sew. This avoids the bunching up.

Velda
HUGS, đź’• Vel

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”