Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Idea for Quilt as you go method...HELP!!!!!

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
FlorenceM

Idea for Quilt as you go method...HELP!!!!!

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:42 am

Okay Gals...I have an idea and I need input. As many of you know I am a hand quilter. I am working on a 12 block BOM quilt. Each block is 12 1/2 inches plus I put the 3 inch(cut, 2 1/2 finished) sashing on my east/west sides, joining blocks into 4 strips. My idea is to layer center strip on backing, batting sandwich; machine quilt strip. Then add north/south sashing, quilt, add next row, etc. Will this work? I am probably confusing you gals, but I can see it in my mind, just don't know if I should attempt it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Flo

FarmChick

Re: Idea for Quilt as you go method...HELP!!!!!

Post by FarmChick » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:22 am

Flo--my mom hand quilted my birdhouse blocks. She is unable to handle heavy quilts. I had to piece the backing down the middle anyway. I made "half" quilts... left the backing the full size needed. I pieced the blocks in the two sections added batting under them and quilted eack half in the ditch. Mom was able to add her hand quilting to th blocks. Since getting the sections back, i added the batting and side borders and quilted them. Next I sewed the center seam--top and batting together. I did a flat fell seam by hand to join the backings together. I am now ready to add the top and bottom borders with their batting and quilt them. The backing will only have the one seam down the middle and the borders will be seamless. Hope this makes sense. It is a compilation of Georgia Bonesteele meets Kaye Wood quilt as you go. I think you have basically the same idea as my quilt.

MainelyMe

Re: Idea for Quilt as you go method...HELP!!!!!

Post by MainelyMe » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:40 am

You can do quilt as you go by hand or machine. To use the machine I quilt each block, leaving the back block larger than the front on all sides. Next I sew the sashing strip onto the right side of the block only catching the front of the quilted block and the sashing. I do this until all the blocks in that row are together on the front. Then I flip it over to the back. On the back I cut the batting to lay flat in the space left by the sashing on the front. Then the last step is to cut the back fabric down to just small enough to fold under a 1/4 inch and sew it to the next block. After completing all the rows, you join them to each other in a similar way.
I hope you can understand what I mean.
Joan

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”