Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Stitch in the ditch

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
deensy10

Stitch in the ditch

Post by deensy10 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm pretty new to quilting. When I stitch in the ditch sometimes it's perfect sometimes and sometimes it's to one side. I'm following the seam line very carefully. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

12stepquilter

Re: Stitch in the ditch

Post by 12stepquilter » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:01 am

You are doing nothing wrong. I have been quilting for over 30 years and still jump the seam so just keep at it. A wise quilt shop owner once told me there is no such thing as a perfect quit. She was so right.
Rhonda

sillyCat5

Post by sillyCat5 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:17 pm

Like the previous post, I have been quilting for....."awhile" and still not sure what stich in the ditch means..if I am to sew in the seam, above or below? as to the straight line, lets just say, some days you sew straight, some days you don't! sounds like you are doing just fine.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:04 am

Stitching in the ditch isn't as easy as it sounds! But I got a foot for my Bernina that makes it much easier. Looks so much better! I'm still jumping the seam once in a while, but now the foot does the work for me. I think it's called an Edge Foot.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:08 am

Even the professionals don't stay exactly in the ditch 100% of the time. I have a "stitch in the ditch" foot with my Janome and it helps a great deal. I only get out of the ditch 1% of the time.....and I've got some swamp land in Arizona to sell you - LOL.

toekeyotow

Post by toekeyotow » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:32 am

I try my best to stitch in the ditch, but sometimes it's just stitching in the neighborhood. For longarmers Jamie Wallen's mystical ditcher it wonderful. you can find it @ www.quiltersapothecary.com

SusanW

Post by SusanW » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:22 am

I recently learned a trick that has made a world of difference. When you press a seam to the side, a very slight variation in height occurs between the two fabrics. If you stitch in the ditch on the "low" of the seam, the stitches are virtually invisible. I was somewhat skeptical when I read this, but was amazed at the result. It really works!

tonka2shoes

Post by tonka2shoes » Wed May 21, 2014 2:54 pm

To Puurfect Lady:

Do you know the foot # of the foot you use for stitch in the ditch? I am going to have to do it on a baby quilt. I have the stitch in the ditch walking foot but I have heard about an edge foot that works very well. Sure would appreciate your help in this.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu May 29, 2014 3:15 am

Tonka2shoes,

The Edge Foot I use for SITD is a #10. My machine is a Bernina Aurora 430. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Just now saw your question.
Mary z

GailT

Post by GailT » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:46 pm

What an interesting discussion. I'm so glad I"m not the only one who can't stay in the ditch! Silly Cat, that's sewing directly on the seam between the two fabrics.
The STID foot really helps but I do jump the seam too. I think everyone does.
Toekeyotow, I am going to get Jamie Wallen's mystical ditcher for the longarm. He's fascinating to watch isn't he?

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”