Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Beginner to machine quilting...How do I...?

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
pagetree444

Beginner to machine quilting...How do I...?

Post by pagetree444 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:51 am

I want to know if I can quilt as I go with a standard machine. I have only hand quilted and would like to know how to assemble each square individually to each other rather than piece the top then quilt the entire thing. (Or is that the best way to go?) I have NEVER quilted by machine and it seems ominous! I have a new grand-nephew I would like to make a baby quilt for but I don't know what to do re: assembly. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

fabricgirl

Re: Beginner to machine quilting...How do I...?

Post by fabricgirl » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:32 pm

Hi I enrolled myself in an online machine quilting class try craftsy.com they have a lot of classes and you can keep these on line classes as long as you want I didn't finish mine yet but I keep a journal with all my notes.

I hope this helps.
Lois

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:44 pm

You know how to machine sew? I've recently started quilting by machine as I live in ancient times.. Realized nothing to it!

Darning foot, the one with the circle will do stippling, and your hands control the movement direction with feed dogs down.

Walking foot usually more expensive and has a box shape to it, will do straight lines, pulling all three parts batting, top, back together equally. ie "quilt as you go, stitch in the ditch.

You'll find some tutorials here and there on how to make this. Try it you'll love it! Start with small project because depending on size of your machine area, could be a bit of challenge. Ask retailer for advice. Maybe they have free class.. Let us know how it went!

Susie

Post by Susie » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:45 am

My mother made me years ago a double size quilt where she quilted each square individually and then put them all together. I know she left a space on the outer edge of each quilt block un-quilted so that when she sewed the blocks together...from the top....she could take a quarter seam allowance. You sew the blocks together, top only, and then you have to fold your seam allowance on the back of the blocks and hand sew them. I bet if you google "Quilt as you Go" you can find some instructions. My quilt turned out very nice and it is much easier than wrestling a large quilt on a standard machine.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:12 am

Look up "The Cotton Theory". Betty Cotton has lots of patterns.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”