Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thoughts on APQS longarm quilting machines?

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Sewhappyloria

Thoughts on APQS longarm quilting machines?

Post by Sewhappyloria » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:01 pm

I'm in the market for my first longarm. I've kinda got my eyes on the APQS with the new bliss. Any thoughts out there?

auntjana

Re: Thoughts on APQS longarm quilting machines?

Post by auntjana » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Be very careful - check on the maximum size of a block that the machine will quilt - I got a mid-arm a couple of years ago and I didn't even think to check that.

How much space do you have in quilting the block, a stitch regulator is a must - it makes you life easier!

How easy is it to load the quilt on - can you do it by yourself and is it fussy about thread - some machines get to be picky on the brand of quilting thread you use.

Also, is there a good service department that you can call or they will come out and help you -

These are all the questions that I can think of right now - I am getting a new LA in December - I will get one with a 26" throat depth - that way I can easily do a 15 or 16 inch block. I love quilted feathers and want a machine that will allow me to do them.

Good luck
Jana

12stepquilter

Post by 12stepquilter » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:35 am

I spent several years researching long arms. Everything from going to trade shows, listening to other long arm owners and even test driving some that owners were willing to take the time to do for me. I finally made my purchase and it was an Innova 26" as it is the only long arm machine made in the USA. I love it to pieces. Technical support is amazing and will not make you feel like an idiot. That is my input hope it is helpful.

[url]http://www.abminternational.com'>http://www.abminternational.com[/url]

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:43 am

My thoughts are this:

We have a Nolting - which is made in America (Hiawatha, Iowa) - and like it a lot. They also have great tech support and will spend all day with you on the phone if you need it. But they don't have a lot of outlets sprinkled around the country. But when they were in our area for a show, they came to our house once, to help us out with some questions. It's a good solid machine and we've had no complaints. Noltings come with a stitch regulator. Their frames come in 10', 12', and 14' but they will custom-make to your own dimensions (to the inch) for only an extra $100. They are solid steel and don't bend or flex at all.

Our throat is 17". But we can only stitch patterns up to 10-1/2" because the bulk of the rolled up quilt takes up some of the throat room. Doing it again, we'd get a 26" throat.

When we tried out other brands before buying the Nolting, the Gammill was so heavy it hurt my back to propel it around the quilt. Plus, they would never return our calls or e-mails. And the Tin Lizzie felt - well - like it was made of tin.

I think the Innovas and the APQS's are good machines. I'd give those a good look, too.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”