Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Buying a new machine

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Lesi1

Buying a new machine

Post by Lesi1 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:55 am

It's been several years since I have made a quilt. I am ready to get back to it. I will be buying a new sewing machine soon. I would love to hear your suggestions on what machines you all like. What features are a must have. I do not sew garments. I just do hobbies.
Thanks for you help.

auntjana

Re: Buying a new machine

Post by auntjana » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:23 am

Just find a machine that feels right to you! There are so many out there that are very good. I would suggest that you look for a machine that has the blanket stitch as one of the stitches on it - it is so handy for machine applique. Also you will want a 1/4 inch foot for piecing - it is the best investment you can make!

I have a Pfaff and love it!! It is my choice of a great machine - but Janome, Bernina's, and Baby Locks are very good too.

Good luck in finding what makes you happy!

Jana

gmaann

Re: Buying a new machine

Post by gmaann » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:18 pm

You will also want a walking foot (also called an even-feed foot). Many machines especially for quilting come with these feet. Also a 'darning' foot if you want to do free motion quilting. A machine with a needle down option is helpful, too. My Baby Lock machine has a warning tone when the bobbin is about to run out - VERY helpful when you do Eleanor's 'assembly line piecing'. Before this machine I was apt to sew 'miles' with no bobbin thread before I noticed that the bobbin was empty!

Have fun shopping for your new machine. Try out a lot. Having service near your home is great - and also lessons for your machine.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”