Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Machine Applique advice

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
CarrieM2007

Machine Applique advice

Post by CarrieM2007 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:39 am

Hi All, I am making my first applique quilt (I usually piece) and have chosen the QIAD Sunbonnet Sue pattern. I am now at the point where it's time to machine applique around the Sues. My questions are: What type of thread to you all use for this? Cotton, rayon, something else? The fabrics are yellows, oranges, and greens, so I'd like to stick with those colors of thread, rather than monofilament. Also, what type of stitch do you use? Zigzag, blanket, or something else?
Thanks for your help!

Suzquilts

Re: Machine Applique advice

Post by Suzquilts » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:28 am

Carrie,

If you go to this link, she talks about what stitch to use, thread, etc. I actually learned something as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFEuiPlOIWw

Susan

auntjana

Re: Machine Applique advice

Post by auntjana » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:22 pm

I have used cotton and rayon threads for blanket stitching on my appliques. I do a lot embroidery so I have many colors to choose from - just watch that you use an embroidery needle when using the rayon thread.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”