Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

HQ16 upgrade

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
TL-UT1

HQ16 upgrade

Post by TL-UT1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:57 am

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and have had my HQ16 for a couple of years or more - time flies - I see they've come out with an upgrade on tracking and poles. I'm looking into whether I should take the plunge and upgrade. My original poles are for the King quilt set up and I leave it set up all the time and am noticing that the metal poles have a sag in the center. Has anyone noticed this and does the new system remedy it? Also, does the new tracking make the quilting motion more stable?

gmaann

Re: HQ16 upgrade

Post by gmaann » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:16 am

You might try sending a PM to cindyg. I think she has an HQ16. I can't help you, as I am 'free motion challenged'.

(you do a PM by clicking on Messages in the line near the top of the page.);

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:55 am

haha! Ann, I was going to tell her the exact same thing! But I used to have an Inspira frame and the bars began to sag a bit. I always had to be careful not to put any weight on them, to not lean on them (a habit of mine). I think DH finally reinforced them for me some way. I'll ask him at his "waking hour". Stand by . . .

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:35 am

Hi TL-UT1 -

This is Mr. Bill (my DW is Purrfect-lady). As Mary mentioned, we used to have the Inspira frame. I had to reinforce the shelf 'cause it sagged. We had it setup as a 10' frame, so we had to connect the poles - they also sagged a little because the connecting piece was so short it just didn't provide wonderful support. We were very careful about not putting too much load on the bars - so we never really fixed that issue.

Is this the upgrade your looking at:

http://www.handiquilter.com/product/hq- ... grade-kit/

If so, it looks like you'll get new bars and based on the video, they seem to jave pretty good support for the poles now. Not sure if that's the method they've been using but it looks good to me.

Mr. Bill

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:44 am

http://www.handiquilter.com/product/hq- ... grade-kit/

New to how to post here - lets see if this link works better.

Mr. Bill

somari

Post by somari » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:38 am

My avante HQ is also 12' but I notice that the pole is comprised of intersecting 4 foot poles with those push button releases. Try taking out one piece in the middle from each pole at least for a while. or put a lightweight aluminum rod through the 12' when reassembled. cover with duct tape for sound parrier.

somari

Post by somari » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:41 am

LOL a little levity! I am 5'10" so don't lean on the poles at all.

somari

Post by somari » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:41 am

Oh yeah! I built a podium 10' long for my Japanese partner!

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”