Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Slick way to bring bobbin thread to top of quilt

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
purrfect-lady

Slick way to bring bobbin thread to top of quilt

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:47 am

While watching tutorials on the Q-bot, they showed a couple of slick hints concerning bobbin thread on the long-arm. Since I'm totally self-taught, I didn't know these. And in case someone else didn't either, I will try to describe them here.

To bring bobbin thread up at the start - needle down/up. grab top thread in both hands and run it under the foot. Brings bobbin thread up.

To bring bobbin thread up at the end of a stitching area when you want to move the needle to a different area: finish stitching and tack in place with needle up/down 3 or 4 times. pull machine away to give you a length of top thread about 8". Hold that thread and bring machine back to position and needle down/up in same hole. Pull on the thread in your hand and it will pull the bobbin thread up. Clip. Now you can move your machine anywhere and begin again. No crawling underneath to clip like I"ve been doing! Hope I described that so it's understandable!

auntjana

Re: Slick way to bring bobbin thread to top of quilt

Post by auntjana » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:37 am

That is very understandable - it is exactly the way I have been doing it for years! Works so well!

I started just leaving the threads underneath, when I first got my machine and then when I took it off the frame - trim them - DO NOT EVER TRY THAT!1 What a mes+69s I had and so much wasted thread!

Thanks for sharing!

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:10 pm

Yes very understandable. I learned it years ago watching my teacher so I knew what to do when I got my machine. But if I hadn't known I would be thanking you over and over!!!

I also make sure I have enough thread to bury them after I finish the row.

Happy quilting!!

sidesaddles

Post by sidesaddles » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:33 am

Hmm never thought of doing that at the end of stitching. Sure would save a lot of frustration. Also decided to keep a handsewing needle at the longarm so I can weave the ends in right then. I have a hard time finding them when I am done.

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:50 pm

New to me Thanks Mary

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”