Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Variegated thread problem - HELP!

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
purrfect-lady

Variegated thread problem - HELP!

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:46 pm

My Nolting Fun Quilter is a workhorse. I usually use superior Sew Fine on top and Bottom Line pre-wound bobbins. Usually, my needles are size 20, as recommended by Nolting. It sews beautifully and dependably. But every time I try to use superior variegated thread, I get nothing but rats' nests on the bottom. I've done so much frogging I've dulled my new frogging tool! I've tightened the top tension a half-turn 8 to 10 times. It's better and in fact, when I stitch on my muslin borders, it does very well. But when I get into the body of the quilt, the rats come out! I've changed the needle and the size of the needle. I've rethreaded the machine and the bobbin. Does anyone out there have any ideas? Do you do anything special with variegated thread? When I've talked to the techs at Nolting in the past they've told me that I should never have to change the bobbin tension, so I haven't. and I've never had to before. But every single time I try to use variegated threads this happens and I'm ready to throw something at the Superior Thread Salesman who told me, 'just loosen your tension that'll be $18 please'.

mary

12stepquilter

Re: Variegated thread problem - HELP!

Post by 12stepquilter » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:39 am

I found that even on my domestic machine I had to use a lot looser tension with variegated threads. Not real fond of them.

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:29 am

Sounds like your tension needs changed for Variegated thread.

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Adjust the tension....I found this to help with Variegated thread.

astitchintime

Post by astitchintime » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:18 pm

I use their variegated thread all the time and don't have problems; however, I aways use the same in the bobbin too. I hope this helps. Happy Stitching!! Debi

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”