Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Backing Problem on Longarm

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
GGee

Backing Problem on Longarm

Post by GGee » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:21 am

My stitches on the back of the quilt are like railroad ties. I have tried everything. But, I must be missing something.
I hope you can help?

auntjana

Re: Backing Problem on Longarm

Post by auntjana » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:10 pm

I am assuming that they are long or wide - double check that the machine is threaded correctly - re-thread is what I always do -

Check to see that the bobbin is in the right way - mine has to come off a certain way or everything goes wonky!

Check that you have no dust bunnies living in the bobbin case or under the needle throat plate. Give it a good drink of oil too.

Now after all that - start checking the tensions - record on a piece of paper where the tensions are set now - only move one tension mechanism at a time - make note on the paper and sew a test area - if that did not work - go back to the original where you started and move it again - or another - record and keep trying this method in troubleshooting the tensions. Only move one thing at a time - keeping track of what you did. This is how my DH taught me to troubleshoot - he is a electrical engineer and this is how he goes about finding the trouble spots. It is time consuming - but so is ripping out stitches!

Good luck - when all else fails - call the Sewing Machine Shop that services your machine and they can help too.
Jana

GGee

Post by GGee » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:42 am

Thank you Jana, its working alot better now.

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:53 am

I noticed on mine if I have the backing/top rail a smidgin higher then the takeup rail my stitches look like RR ties. I lowered my backing/top rail just a hair and it fixed it. Hope that helps.
Tina

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”