Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Purchasing a used Gammill

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
TheKid

Purchasing a used Gammill

Post by TheKid » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:36 am

I need help with advice. I put this under another area, but no one saw it, so I thought I would post here. I have a friend whose mother passed away and she had this Gammill long arm machine. Now, it hasnot been used for 6 years. I am going to look at it this next week. I have not been tuned in of late on the prices of these, or etc. I have no idea of the original costs, etc. Please help if you can offer any tips, what to look for, etc. Novice. I am a quilter, but use my own machine, etc for quilting or I do it by hand.
Thanks for the help.

ilovetosew

Re: Purchasing a used Gammill

Post by ilovetosew » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:03 pm

I love my Premier Plus Gammill and use it often.

If that machine has been idle for so long, I would suggest giving it a test drive to make sure nothing has seized up after cleaning and oiling it well to make sure everything is in good working order.

Janie

norwich

Post by norwich » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:23 pm

I have a Gammill Classic Plus and have been in the longarm business for 7 years now. I'm from Wisconsin, and I see you're from Michigan. If I were you, I'd take it to a Gammill dealer. There is one in Beloit, Wisconsin, which is the southern part of the state. Good people to work with. They will service the machine and get it working great again. There are so many adjustments to these machines. I would not attempt to do it myself. You may do more damage than good. I took my machine in for a total tune-up about a year ago and it cost me about $300. The Gammill repair guy worked on it all day. They will also show you how to maintain your machine when you take it back home. Something that you could never figure out on your own! These machines are quite complicated. Also, go to the Gammill website and download the pdf maintenance file. Good luck!

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:45 am

I'm with Norwich - I'd take it to a dealer and have them check it out before I bought it. You might have to leave them a deposit with the understanding that if you don't buy the machine. They can probably tell you if you are getting a good deal, too. Good luck.

TheKid

Post by TheKid » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:24 am

Thank you for your help. I have everything on hold, while we do alot of thinking, reading, searching, and trying to decide what is best right now for our situation. But, thank-you for your wisdom.

petlover

Post by petlover » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:36 am

Hi. Did you ever buy the Gammill? Or go look at it?

We've got our 2007 Gammill Classic Plus up for sale too. Good luck on finding what is right for you.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”