Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

quilting on a machine

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
thriftyideastoday

Re: quilting on a machine

Post by thriftyideastoday » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:58 am

I have machine quilted a few small laptops just stitch in the ditch...they did come out really nice...I just have a kenmore sewing machine. I was so nervous but like the look. I am making a quilt this weekend and debating on paying someone to do the machine quilting so it will look nice but I feel funny having someone else do the work...I want present the quilt as one that I made...my husband thinks I should do it that it would mean more...

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:49 pm

thrifty, I think you should just do it yourself!! Depending on the pattern you used, maybe some diagonal lines? I did stitch in the ditch for years before I tried free motion. I have a Kenmore, too..but my old one didn't have a darning foot to use for free motion.
But, I just can't bring myself to have someone else do the quilting..it wouldn't feel like "my" quilt! I know that sounds silly, but it's just me, I guess.
So I agree with your husband! It will be beautiful!

Joanne

Deequiltsinaday

Post by Deequiltsinaday » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:44 pm

jjgallamore: I feel your frustration and desire to learn to machine quilt. I teach machine quilting. Here are a few of the things I suggest for beginners:

You have the will, now start building muscle memory by doodling with paper and pencil. Choose simple flowing designs to start: simple meander (like Loosely fitted puzzle pieces), then vary the meander into loops-still like loose puzzle. Once you are comfortable filling a page with these two doodles, go to your machine with small quilt sandwiches and practice. Remember to sit at your machine comfortably-knees at 90 degrees, feet comfortable, shoulders not hunched around your ears :-0,upper arms hanging down with forearms level with floor and wrists held level. Cotton gloves with rubber dots on the finger tips(Machingers or gardening gloves)or rubber finger tips will help you move the fabric sandwich without pressing down. Machine speed should be moderate hand speed should be a bit slower than you would expect in order to control the stitch length. Remember with the feed dogs down, you are controlling the movement of the fabric. Work for short intervals. Rest, stretch, check your work and determine if you are happy with the stitch length. YOu may need to move the fabric a bit slower to shorten the stitch or run the motor a bit faster. You decide. Practice these two patterns until you achieve smooth curves, even stitches and then look for a book that helps with more basics like leaves, hearts (which can be very similar and easy), simple geometrics and how to build from these.

I hope this helps you get going. Let us know! Happy Holidays.

Ljuhles

Post by Ljuhles » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:31 pm

I had a "light-bulb moment", when I found Leah Day on YouTube. Her website is DayStyles.com She is about 28 years old, and let me tell you, this girl makes free motion quilting so, so simple. On her website, she has many, many things to deal with Free Motion Quilting with your home domestic sewing machine. She only uses a darning foot. I have a bazillion books I have invested in, but being a visual learner, she turned the light on for me. Search free-motion quilting on YouTube. WELL WORTH YOUR TIME!!!! I am new to quilting, meaning I've been making tops for 2 years, and swore up and down, that I would NEVER be able to do this. Lots of practice on paper, and quilt sandwiches, and I have changed my mind. I can do this, if someone else can, AND IT ONLY HAS TO PLEASE ME! FINISHED IS BETTER THAN PERFECT.

CatQuilter55

Post by CatQuilter55 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:39 am

How large is too large to be able to quilt my quilt on my home machine? I would love to try it, but am leery because of having to re-position and re-roll as I work. Also, I went to a seminar recently and one of the speakers was well-known quilter Libby Lehman. She says she never pins her quilt sandwich, but only uses the "505" spray and has great success. I have never tried that but have always used the curved basting pins. Advice anyone??

fanquilt

Post by fanquilt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi,
Thanks! Deequiltsinaday - Ojai, CA for the machine quilting advice. I grew up helping Mom with her quilting projects and hand sewing was the part I got to do. I've tried machine quilting and what a mess I got..icks...lost a lot of hair...might come back now. I'm making my grandsons 5 and 4 yrs old Christmas quilts and I'm trying the sewing machine again.

Thanks again.
June from Indy

Annielourn

Post by Annielourn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:57 am

I luckily found Leah Day's website. Have purchased a beginner free motion book and DVD as well as some notions from her site. I watch her videos frequently and am beginning to draw on paper and practice on my machine. I KNOW that I can do this with practice. Leah has inspired me tremendously!

rhill85053

Post by rhill85053 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:43 am

Leah Day is superb. Be sure to watch her start up video because it will show you how to adjust the feeder foot to not 'bounce' your quilt as you sew. She is awesome and makes it fun, has newsletter, etc. Her forum will take you from beginner to excited user.

Ritamae

Post by Ritamae » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:46 pm

jjgallamore, I'm new here but I have an idea. Have you thought about going to one of the quilt stores that give lessons, sometimes the
Vo-tech school in Boonville has adult classes. I use decorative stiches that are on my machine, I've quilted from crib to queen size on it with out it being to much work. One important thing is to make sure the fabric stays as flat as possible while sewing, I use those giant safety pins. Hope this helps. I live in Bunceton just about 45 mins. from you. :)

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”