Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

free motion home machine trouble

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
B-LYN

free motion home machine trouble

Post by B-LYN » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:47 am

I am trying to quilt on my home machine, I have been doing fine until the last few days, My problem is that my top thread keeps showing on the bottom, I will do one block fine and the next on the thread show again on the bottom. I have my tension set on O and my darning foot on, my machine is a pfaff so my presser foot is half way down, am I doing something wrong????? Hope some of you more expreienced ladies can help. I don't see any difference in what I am doing to make this happen. Thanks B-Lynn

purrfect-lady

Re: free motion home machine trouble

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:10 am

Hi, B-Lynn,

I am feeling your pain. I'm having the same problem with my LA right now. I haven't solved mine yet, but here's some ideas to check. I keep a trouble shooting list very handy to my machine. I have a little tension guide, too, that I keep posted near my machine.

If the top thread shows on the bottom - you need to tighten the top tension. If the bottom thread shows on the top - you need to tighten the bobbin tension (by turning the tiny screw in the bobbin holder 1/4 turn to the right.)

1. Adjust tension
2. Rethread your machine.
3. Rethread your bobbin.
4. Clean & oil the machine
5. Change needles
6. Needle in correctly? (don't assume this. It's got me more than once!)
7. Try a different weight thread
8. you might be moving your machine too fast
9. Quilt too tight on frame?
10. Try putting a sock or a netting cone over your thread cone
11. Call the liquor store for an emergency delivery

I really hope you can resolve your problem. When I finish writing this I'm going to go try to figure out my own! If you DO get going again, please pm me your solution! I'll do the same!

mary
edited to add tip from Jana from a similiar thread: adjust one thing at a time. also mark your starting points when adjusting tensions. And it may take a combo of the top and bottom tension.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:24 am

Well, I have one more thing to add to the trouble shooting list - make sure your thread is caught in the tension discs correctly! I'm not positive after 2 days of trying to figure out my problem, but I THINK I didn't quite catch the thread in the discs just right - or else it jumped out when I wasn't looking. And then, instead of checking that right away, I started playing with tensions and caused all sorts of new problems! Anyway, I'm back up and running now! I hope you will be, too, very soon!

mary

B-LYN

Post by B-LYN » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:17 pm

thanks so much ladies for your help, I will try your suggestions and let you know what happens, I hope, I hate it when my machine does not do what I want it to B-Lynn

IowaGal

Post by IowaGal » Sun May 02, 2010 3:12 am

On your Pfaff, make sure you check your bobbin tension. I have a Pfaff and This machine is PICKY about it. Turn the screw until when you have the bobbin in the case in your hand and pull the thread upwards, the bobbin and case dont lift off your hand.

IowaGal

Post by IowaGal » Sun May 02, 2010 3:13 am

Actually, I use #11, and forget about it!

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”