Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

thread problem when machining...help!

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
shelly322002

thread problem when machining...help!

Post by shelly322002 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:09 am

ive been having a problem with the TOP thread when machine quilting. when i turn my work over, the TOP thread showing underneath is looped and loose, and the bottom thread lays flat... why??? is it a tension problem? to tighten the top tension do i increase or decrease the tension number? goodness knows! any ideas??? help please anyone!

auntjana

Re: thread problem when machining...help!

Post by auntjana » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:14 am

It is a tension problem - it could go two ways -

first - the top tension is too loose and or the bobbin tension is too light.

Rule # 1 - only do one thing at a time -before moving anything - make notes of where it is set at - so you have a reference to go back to.

try to tighten the top tension and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't - go back to the original setting of your machine and adjust the bobbin.I use a small tipped permanent marker - Make a mark on either side of the small set screw on the bobbin case - only turn the set screw a small amount - about 1/8th of a turn - test sew - if that fixes it - good - if you feel it needs to be tightened more - then only a small turn further.

It might take both to be tightened - but pay attention where you start from so you can always go back to start all over again if necessary.

Good luck
Jana

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:38 pm

thanks jana, i will certainly have a look at this tomorrow and play around. tension is a bug bare to me! love jacquie.x.

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Before you adjust the tension, rethread the machine - both top thread and bobbin. Usually when I have a problem with thread bunching up on the underneath, it is because my top thread is improperly threaded - or caught on something! You might also try using a new needle and cleaning the bobbin area of lint.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:06 am

Is your machine oiled? Also, bargain threads can cause problems. Make sure you have a good quality thread. There is a very recent post on this site about thread if that's a question. Good luck! This can be frustrating, (ask me how I know!) but you've gotten some great trouble shooting ideas here.

One thing I do is keep a list of things to try when having a problem. I have it posted on my wall for quick reference. Saves me time.

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:11 am

Sounds like a Tension problem to me too. I have been there and it is so frustrating. I used a sample I made and tried different tensions on my machine until I found the right one for my quilt. It takes a little time, but, well worth it and I also changed needle sizes to find the right one for my quilt, the thread and machine. Good Luck!!

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:21 pm

These are all great tips ladies! thanks so much!! i will try all of them!
Thanks again, love Jacqui.x.

IowaGal

Post by IowaGal » Sun May 02, 2010 3:15 am

also, on my pfaff, which I have this trouble ALOT make sure you use premiu thread. Cheaper thread and my machine do not play well together. Sulky or YLI works best for me.

grannyQuilts1

Post by grannyQuilts1 » Sun May 02, 2010 7:04 pm

when mine did this i found a big gob of lint under the bobin case. cleaned it and it worked great. that is when i learned to ck that area after every couple of bobbins when i am quilting.
Barbara

somari

Post by somari » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:19 pm

If bobbin tension is too tight the upper will 'birds nest underneath and vice versa. I always adjust the bobbin first because it has less latitude. Then I adjust the upper to that. Also I don't cheap out on thread!

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”