Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

First Long-Arm quilter

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Mamafitz62

Re: First Long-Arm quilter

Post by Mamafitz62 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:39 pm

Just to add to the mix. I went on line and purchased the plans for a homemade quilting frame. My husband (bless him) is a very handy person to have. He made my frame for me and even added the fourth rail for my batting. He then took my old Kenmore (40 year old) rewired the foot feed into hand controls. It has taken me awhile of playing with this but have as they say "the right scald". I cannot do real precise quilting designs but can do straight lines, small designs that sort of thing. This best part is I can do this secure all three layers then go back on my Espire and do fancy designs inside of each block. I tell you I can just kiss this man. I tell him this is possibly the best gift he has ever given me. I got the designs from Richard on ebay.

Rose

petlover

Post by petlover » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:37 am

Did you ever find the right machine for yourself? How was Paducah?

Deequiltsinaday

Post by Deequiltsinaday » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:19 pm

This is a bit long. . .I have had a Gammill Classic for 11 years (no stitch regulator or computer)and had absolutely wonderful luck with it. The "local" dealer is 125 miles away but I take it in rarely for service and do meticulous routine cleaning, oiling, replace brushes and switches, springs and minor things as needed. The folks in MO. at Gammill are wonderful to talk you through any questions or problems on the phone, send your parts orders to you quickly. There are great forums online for ideas and support of users. I started quilting my own tops and within 2 months, was in business quilting for others. I now have a second stitch regulated head-still no computer and do mostly custom quilting.
This is a big decision financially. One buys rulers, stencils, pantographs, tons of threads and other goodies. Do test all available models before deciding. The Nolting folks are great to work with as well as are others. You will want to consider how far you are from a service person if you are not mechanically inclined in your brand decision, too.

Qltrw32

Post by Qltrw32 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:54 am

Just want to add another support vote for the Gammill Classic Plus. I've had mine for 5 years and decided on a Gammill after test driving everything available at the Home Machine Quilting Show in Salt Lake City. Can't say enough about the reliability and quality of this longarm machine setup. Any questions are immediately addressed and I've had superb support from my Gammill dealer - even operators in remote areas don't have to worry about problems because they will walk you through any problem.

Good luck in your search and would highly recommend a seperate bobbin winder.

classathome

Post by classathome » Mon May 02, 2011 7:24 pm

I've been curious about the long arm quilting for several years but decided it was going to be too expensive - however I went to one of our local quilting shows and ended up buying a Babylock Jewel - not their most current machine but a 1 year old store demo. I found that buying a machine is like buying a car an I offered them my best deal and we went back and forth a bit and I got an affordable payment with 4 years zero interest. Anyway I'm learning the machine and so far have been happy. I plan to take classes and so on and have been told that it can take up to a year + to get good at free motion so if I move ahead with the attitude "it's going to take awhile" I should be good. ;)

Sewhappyloria

Post by Sewhappyloria » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm also in the market for my first Longarm. I've kinda got my eyes on the APQS with the new bliss. Anyone out there have any thoughts on this machine?

JoleneShindler

Post by JoleneShindler » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:06 pm

I recently purchased the Baby Lock Crown Jewel longarm. I must say, like so many of you, I researched and had my heart set on the Gammill however, after asking and reading many blogs, I hesitated because of the computer glitches and bugs not being fixed rapidly. My wait was worth it. The Crown Jewel is an easy set up and the purchasing of the prostitcher is the answer to a perfect running machine. Minor adjustments to level the frame but no bugs or software issues. I literally set up the frame and machine in two days, loaded a quilt and began stitching my quilt top the very next day! I am super pletased with my purchase! Hope this adds to the testimonial of a wonderful company, Baby Lock!

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”