Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

serger help !!!!!!!

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
nana

serger help !!!!!!!

Post by nana » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:19 am

could someone help me with trying to figure out whats the best serger to buy. their is so many to choose from.

thanks
nana

TooMuchFabric

Re: serger help !!!!!!!

Post by TooMuchFabric » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:49 pm

Nana, I have a five thread Singer. It does an excellent job but I don't use it very much. I used to have a Simplicity and it did a good job as well. My experience with both of the sergers is I just use them occasionaly and really did not need to upgrade to the 5 thread. The simple Simplicity that I had had for about 15 years actually did everything I use one for.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:19 am

Nana, I'm using a serger for the first time today. I don't know the first thing about them. Mine is a Kenmore 4 thread serger. It came all threaded - it's a good thing!!!! I watched the video this morning so now I'm using it on my blue Christmas pillow cases - it sure beats making that French seam.

kenderosa

Post by kenderosa » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:33 am

Nana, I have a Bernina serger. Absolutely love how it finishes off any sewing item! I've had it since 1986 and have never had it in the shop for any type repairs. It is a real go getter! I use it all the time, for garment making and for crafting. They can be a bugger to thread! All those spools! LOL :o)

Sue

grannyQuilts1

Post by grannyQuilts1 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:01 pm

cindyg, i bought a serger not long ago, it came threaded and can you believe the dealer told me to leave it threaded and when i ran out to just tie on to the tail of the thread and pull it through
the thread paths (4 spool) is all color coded so i want to learn to thread and use it. i am sorry to say my dealer didn't really offer much in the way of instructions, both said, well barbara you have been sewing all you life so you won't have a bit of trouble. well for the first time in my life i am afraid of a machine. i plan on grabbing a bunch of scraps and try to practice all this week, i also think it would be great for the pillow cases.
Barbara

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:48 pm

I have a White brand serger. It is a real work horse and never has given me a problem. I bought it in the 80's. I like that serged finished seam on denim or whatever.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:09 am

Barbara - yesterday was my very first time of using my serger and, man, I loved it for finishing off those pillow cases. It came already threaded so when two of my spools were running out I tied the end onto the new thread and the knots went right thru the machine, no problem. The thing is that you have to tie a square knot so it won't come undone. When I did that and it worked I thought "Now this is the berries". I used one scrap at first, had to adjust the tension just a little and then it looked good so I put my first pillow case in there and away I went. The way I see it is: it's only fabric and the machine is not the one with the brain, I am. Don't be intimidated by the machine. Oh, I did watch the instructional video first.

swakins

Post by swakins » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:03 pm

I also have a Bernina serger, about 15 years old. I love it for making clothing, when my son was little I could make him a pair of shorts in 20 minutes. I have never had it serviced and it has gotten some pretty heavy use. I someday hope to make one of those six hour quilts with my serger, yeah, just add that to my 'someday' list.
OHSue

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:17 pm

I have had two sergers in the last 25 plus years - the first is still working and the new one is great - they were both Pfaff's - I bought the second one from a dealer that sold me the model on the floor for a very good price - it had only been used to demonstrate and it runs great. It can handle heavier weight of fabrics than my first. My DIL has the original and is using it to clean finish the seams.

Jana

CoyoteQuilts

Post by CoyoteQuilts » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:04 pm

The only recommendation I can give you is to stay away from the ones at Wal-Mart, K-mart, etc 'cause they are cheap and you will have them in for repairs more then home using them. Also, stay away from the newer singers.

Do you want new or would a good 'pre-owned' one work for you? Also, do you want a 4 or 5 thread machine? I picked up a good Viking 4 thread at a garage sale for 200 several years ago. It has kept my DH in clothes and made lots of pillowcases.

Good luck on your search,

Sharon V.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”