Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Singer Featherweight

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
TooMuchFabric

Singer Featherweight

Post by TooMuchFabric » Sat May 30, 2009 5:21 pm

What do you think about the Singer Featherweight 221 machines? I would love to have one to use but don't know if they are all they are cracked up to be.

Thanks,
Jo Ann

ipquilter

Re: Singer Featherweight

Post by ipquilter » Sun May 31, 2009 12:09 am

I love my featherweight. I use it for paper piecing and regular piecing. I get a very stable consistant stitch. It's quiet! They were designed so that the "housewife" could do most of the maintainance herself. I got a book that diagrams out where to put drops of oil and that kind of stuff. DH got mine for about $250 on ebay. I haven't regretted spending the money.

Edited to add: I wouldn't use it for machine quilting.

kenderosa

Post by kenderosa » Sun May 31, 2009 2:18 am

You can't go wrong with a Featherweight! They are wonderful, great to take to classes, and low maintainance. I just love mine! I do NOT use mine for machine quilting, just piecing. Most of my quilts go to a LA for quilting.

Sue

Sandie0213

Post by Sandie0213 » Sun May 31, 2009 9:21 am

I love my FW. DH gave it to me for B-day a couple of years ago. I also use only for piecing -- no quilting. I mostly use it for classes because it's small and light, but I did just use it to make a wallhanging while my other machine was in the shop. I will never get rid of mine.

Sandy

norwich

Post by norwich » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:41 am

I have a Singer 221 and use it only for my quilting classes. It's so nice and light and I love the way it looks too ... very vintage-looking. I bought mine from a man in England who sells 221's, and was extremely happy with the quality of machine I got. I heard lots of horror stories about the ones you can get on eBay, but this guy services the machine and even put in a new motor. Sure, it cost more, but I know I'm getting a top-notch machine.

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/'>h ... eight.com/

These are very nice little machines and would highly recommend them.

MastiffMomQlt

Post by MastiffMomQlt » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:25 pm

I have my Mom's old fw & love it. It has such a beautiful straight stitch :) You won't regret adding it to your collection.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:20 am

I love my Featherweight too!! I also bought mine from the man in England as Norwich did. I runs great and it easy and lightweight enough that I drag it to quilt classes and on vacations to my kids house so that we have two machines to piece quilts with.

Jana

grannyQuilts1

Post by grannyQuilts1 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:25 pm

I Love my Featherweight, The little lady is 72 years old now. i am 63 so we are close to the same age. she is a dream to sew on. runs quiet. i also have two treadle machines. i learned to sew on the treadle because we didn't have electricty on the farm until i was 12 and then it was only in the barn. so i treadled away. the featherweight was a gift from my brother. When his wife passed away he said he knew i would take care of it. SO to answer your question, if you can get one get it, you will love it.
Granny (barbara)

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:20 am

Thank you for the input on the Featherweight machines. I looked at the website and it looks like the best buy. I have been watching machines on ebay but they don't have any kind of guarantee. I am still in the thinking stages but soon I hope to have my very own little Singer Featherweight.

Thanks again,
Jo Ann

tnjacke

Post by tnjacke » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:58 pm

JoAnn, let us know when you get your new baby.
I have the one my mom bought me in 1952 after I learned to sew on the old treadle. It still sews like a dream and service is easy. Great for classes and the stitch is always perfect. Mine has sewn many garments, draperies, and pieced quilt tops without complaint and still goes on..

Hope you get one soon, I think you will be pleased.

Jacke

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”