Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Anyone use a Flynn quilt frame?

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
kalispunk

Anyone use a Flynn quilt frame?

Post by kalispunk » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:52 am

Have you ever used a Flynn quilt frame to machine quilt your things? I am a beginner and only do small things - placemats, small wallhangings and doll quilts, maybe a 35 x 45 small quilt. I have no interest in ever doing a bed size quilt, so I don't want to spend a lot of money. Is the Flynn system reasonable to start with? (I use a Janome 4900QC sewing machine)
Thanks for input!

quilterbee

Re: Anyone use a Flynn quilt frame?

Post by quilterbee » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:02 pm

One word. NO. John Flynn is so talented, but his frame doesn't have the best rep..at all. Some of the quilting related online Yahoo groups where we sell our things, the Flynn frames are usually free or cheaper. Of course, you could just try one for free and see. JMO, Amie

happymrs

Post by happymrs » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:20 am

Check your PMs, I sent you one!

Nancy...

kalispunk

Post by kalispunk » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:18 am

Thanks for the info, Nancy

kalispunk

Post by kalispunk » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:19 am

Thanks, Amie for your input. What do you mean,"the Flynn frames are usually free or cheaper"?

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:30 am

Free and cheaper is a saying meaning just that,lol! If it's free it may be good deal, if it's cheaper than free it is probably a piece of junk. Amie :o)

Nadine2007

Post by Nadine2007 » Sat May 16, 2009 5:52 pm

I bought the John Flynn Frame never used it then sold it for 1/2 price. Didn't really care for it much.

sometimeQuilter

Post by sometimeQuilter » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:19 am

I also bought one but have never taken in out of the box. Keep thinking maybe someday I'll give it a try.

KCMT

Post by KCMT » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:27 am

I have the "older model" that I converted to use the round rods (aluminum shower rods and not his fiberglass rod kit). I have to say it is a bit cumbersome at first and does take practice, but what machine quilting method doesn't? I use it with my BabyLock Quilter's Choice Pro for overall meanders only though. If I really want to do "pretty" work or a larger quilt, I use the Sharon Schamber method of basting with rolling my top and back on boards and floating the batt. However, I do use pins to baste and not thread. Then I just free-motion.

All in all, the Flynn frame for me works best with small projects only. I'm looking into a home frame though but just can't decide and part with the $$ yet.

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:18 am

I purchased one and tried and tried and practiced and practiced on it. I was NOT impressed!!! Besides, it takes at least the width of it on each side of it to have room to maneuver it. Then when you run out of table on each side of it, it gets heavy and awkward. A 4' wide quilt takes more than 8' of space. It's not easy in a smaller room! That was probably the only thing that perished in the fire that I did NOT miss! I'll send my larger quilts out to an LA until I can get better at doing my own or afford an LA for myself. Meanwhile, hand quilting or practicing freehand MQ on smaller pieces.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”