Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

loose stitches help

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
ollie1shoe

loose stitches help

Post by ollie1shoe » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:46 pm

i am having loose stitches on the bottom side of my quilt i am free motion quilting i am using my espire machine with feed dogs droped and darning foot on i changed the tension up to 5.0 am i going the wrong way with the tension

auntyrob

Re: loose stitches help

Post by auntyrob » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi there, I'm not familiar with your machine, so I'm guessing its a domestic machine. When I free motion I usually have my upper tension at 3 or just under. I usually try with a test piece first. Also I found recently that thread quality has a lot to do with it, I bought cheap thread & it was a disaster, I had to unpick some of the quilt I was working on (we live & learn!) I hope this helps & good luck.

Littlebit

Post by Littlebit » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:11 pm

do you have your pressure foot down? It needs to be with a domestic and some machines (not sure about yours)have a half way down place for your pressure foot

geriwood

Post by geriwood » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:21 pm

I have a seperate bobin case to adjust when free motion quilting. Also hold your threads when you start stitching and don't go too fast. Re thread the machine with the presser foot up. Good luck. geri

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:34 am

its the babylock espire i purchased last year in paducah the presure foot lever was down however thats exactly what the stitches looked like that i had not lowered it but i had already made sure it was down im using the thread on big spools from walmart its quilting thread but it is a heavier thread i have it on top and bobbin but i have used it before with no problem im just at wits end not mentioning how long it has took to un sew all i had already done :(

northbound

Post by northbound » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:21 am

auntyrob is right--usualy a looser tension is better for FMQ.

Have you tried a new needle? I've had problems with dull needles. Someone on the forum recommended embroidery needles for FMQ since they are made for high speed stitching.

The only other thing I can think of is lint around the bobbin area.

Sharon C.

somari

Post by somari » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:11 pm

I have learned that not only is my HQ slow to start or tie off, it has a speed limit for meandering!

Cherdonnay

Post by Cherdonnay » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:58 pm

I just recently had the same problem. Looked like loose stitches on bottom. I adjusted everything possible. Finally I took off the cheap large spool , also took it off the bobbin; replaced it with good Guterman thread and it sewed perfectly. I took back one unopened cheap cone thread. My machine just won’t sew nicely with it.

Momon

Post by Momon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:30 am

qwe

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”