Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Juki or Janome

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Homespun

Juki or Janome

Post by Homespun » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:25 pm

Does anybody have an opinion on Juki or Janome? I've never really heard of these brands before I started quilting. Just wondering what you think if you use either one.

Thanks,
Christina

mic-pa

Re: Juki or Janome

Post by mic-pa » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:02 am

Janopme would be my choice. I have three of there machines and they are worth every penny and trouble free. But there is a lot of machines on the market. Go to a dealer you can trust, make a list of things you want on your machine, such as needle up/down, locking stitch, walking foot etc. Try them all out. Viking is another good machine. good Luck. And don't let the salesman push you into something you won't use. Marge

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:18 am

I have both but the Juki is only used on my quilting frame. It does a good job there. I have a Janome 6600MC and that's the machine that I do everything else on. I love it. I agree with Marge though. Go to your dealer (take your own fabric and a quilt sandwich) and test drive all that are in your price range. Different machines have different features and different size throats - it's all in personal preference and dealership service.

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:34 am

Consumer reports say that the Bernina with stitch regulator is the top machine to buy. Baby Lock was not listed. This is home machines not long arms.

Homespun

Post by Homespun » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:42 am

Thanks for the input! I currently use a Kenmore which I like. I have a super old Kenmore that was my mom's that is just a workhorse and heavy as anything but very basic (literally--it does 4 stitch lenghts and reverse!) I retired that one last year when my husband bought me a new machine that I love. It does a good job, but I'm thinking that I should reserve that one for piecing and other sewing that I do and invest in another machine just for quilting. I especially keep seeing Juki in conjunction with some of the quilting frames that I'm researching.

Thanks again,
Christina

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm trying to sell my Juki and B-line frame here locally. Shipping would cost out the ying-yang. You just reminded me that I need to put an ad in the paper tomorrow.

AudreyB

Post by AudreyB » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:06 pm

If you get the March issue of the comsumer report magazine. It has a full report on several sewing machines.

Audrey

quilterib

Post by quilterib » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:12 pm

I have a Kenmore....we all know that Sears does not make sewing machines. I was in a class taught by a former sewing machine dealer. She said...you have a Janome....Janome makes the Kenmore brand machines. I've not had any problems. My sister and one of my friends have the exact smae machine and we all love them. At my quilt group a lady beside looked at my machine and looked at her machine...mine said Kenmore and her's said Janome...they were identical!! She asked what I paid and told me what she paid....mine was half the price of hers....I needed a walking foot and I took to my local dealer and she sold me a Janome walking foot.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:31 am

quilterib - you are so right. I had a Kenmore and never had a moments trouble. It was half the price of the Janome, same machine with different names on them. I could kick myself for trading in that Kenmore when I bought my Janome. I got a Janome only because of the dealer and their service department and their ability to answer any questions I have.

GrandmaTaz

Post by GrandmaTaz » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:14 am

I have only had a Juki serger and it was good but hard to thread and I sold it.

I have a old Sears that is 30 years and my son has it now still sews great. But it was so heavy I cannot lift it now.

I have two Janome mahcines and love them. My first is a Decor 5024 and not computerized. It is ten years old and still sews like a dream. I keep it at the fabric store I work at and take it with me to my sewing group.

My newer one is a Janmone Memory Craft 4800 Quilters Choice. It has about 60 different stitches and needle up and needle and speed control. The only feature I wish it had also is the stop and go button which makes it go without having to use the foot pedal.
I really miss the needle up and down when I am at the shop and using my older machine.

I wish I had the 6600 like cindyg. I got to test drive that a couple of years ago and it's a dream. But I already had two pretty new machines so I couldn't justify buying a new one.

The only thing I find is that with the drop in bobbins you have to clean out the lint more often and they are very touchy about that and won't sew if there is a lot of lint. But other than that I love them.

My friend has a Berina and won't use anything else. It's all in what you can afford and what you are used to.

My problem is there are not dealers of any kind close by and no repair places. The owner of the store I work at cleans machines and has pretty much showed me what to do to keep mine clean.

Out here in the dry Southwest the machines dry out very and you need to clean them at least once a month and make sure that are good and oiled. (It's good to clean them once a month anyway and change the needle, etc.) especially if you sew a lot.

Jeanne ( guess I should add Gabby to my alaises) LOL

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”