Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

New HQ16 set up and ready to roll

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
astitchintime

New HQ16 set up and ready to roll

Post by astitchintime » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:02 am

I am so excited, my HQ16 is all set up and I am about to wind bobbins for the first time. I have a couple of charity tops to practise on and hope to do that either this morning. I am alittle nervous but can't wait. Will keep you posted..........Debi

petlover

Re: New HQ16 set up and ready to roll

Post by petlover » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:23 pm

Congrats Debi! That is so exciting. The HQ16 is a good machine. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Linda

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:37 am

WOO HOO Debi. Rock-n-Roll!!!! One thing, we've had a problem a couple of times when winding bobbins. The thread likes to come out of the tension thingy so you have to be sure and floss it up into that thing really well. But, man, is that ever a super-powered bobbin winder. I love our HQ16.

astitchintime

Post by astitchintime » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:22 pm

Linda,
I am having fun, just need to stop being nervous and jump in with both feet. I know I will love it!
Cindyg,
I had that same exact problem with the second bobbin but after reading over the little flyer that was with the bobbin winder I tried it again and it went just fine. It did make me alittle nervous to wind bobbins with my hair down, it would have been the pits to have it get caught up with the thread as I was watching it so it went up into a high pony tail.
I may try to pin a lap quilt that is ready to work on.......I guess I just need to stop being such a chicken, why don't some of you come play visit for a while and you can teach me some of the tricks of the trade. I sure would love that!! I will keep you all posted as I play and learn more. Debi

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:22 am

Debi - we learn something new every time we use our HQ16. We've only had it since November. I've quilted two quilts on it. Have you watched the DVD? Did you go to the class? My problem is that I can't turn out quilt tops fast enough so I can play on my HQ16. LOL

What do you mean you are going to pin a quilt. Don't be a chicken. Just load that quilt onto your frame and have at it. It's fun! We have some groovy boards and pantographs that we use that really makes it easy but I would like to learn to free-motion meander and stipple and I LOVE McTavishing. Practice on paper first. OK, I'm rambling. Use your HQ, girlfriend. It's just a machine - don't let it intimidate you! Have fun.

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:37 pm

Debi, it is exciting to hear that there is one more HQ16 owner among us.:)

I love my machine and I have already quilted a Full size, twin size and a couple of wall hangings and lap quilts on mine. Cindy is right, I can't get enough tops done to quilt as much as I would like to. Luckily my quilt group provides plenty of lap quilts to work on so I can practice on those.LOL

Have Fun!

Ann

astitchintime

Post by astitchintime » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:33 pm

I didn't get a chance to do anything last night because I got a major surprise! DD was gone on a trip to Colorado and was due back today, Jan. 13 and last night the phone rang and it was her. She didn't tell me but had changed her return trip from a train ride to flying and was standing at our front door. I was so happy to see her, I have missed her so much and the whole evening was all about her! So tonight we are back to normal, DH is working in his office downstairs, she is over at the boyfriend's house and I am here with all of you. I don't know if I will have time to do much but I am on my way to play and can't wait!! Chat soon, Debi

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:53 am

Debi, how did it go? Did you get a chance to play on your machine?

I haven't done much more than meandering on mine. I did try to do some hearts and loops, but my hearts looked a little more like leaves instead.LOL

Do you have yours with the stitch regulator? Mine is not upgraded, yet. I would like to get those micro handles to see if it would be easier to do stencils.

Have fun!

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:06 am

I would also like to have the micro handles. It will be a while before I get them - I want to pay off the machine before I buy anything more to add to it.

Littlebit

Post by Littlebit » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:06 am

Hi Ladies - I did buy the microhandles - (excellent deal through my dealer) - I highly recommend them. They do give you so much more control - I can write in cursive about 1 inch high and you can still read it - lol

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”