Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

MQ or LA

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
klwheeler

MQ or LA

Post by klwheeler » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:46 pm

I quilt my own on my Pfaff, and have done up to 100 inches by 100 inches, on it. I also have tried renting a mid-arm, HQ16 but the problems with it are too much for me, and I won't even describe all the issues there. The home machine is reliable, costs me nothing extra, and has the best part of all, I don't have to leave home to use it. I'm glad I practiced on lots of small quilts and now can do just about anything with it. Love the quilting and before was amazed at folks who could do it.

12stepquilter

Re: MQ or LA

Post by 12stepquilter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:36 am

kl, I quilt with a BabyLock and have a dreams of having a long arm but I am also happy with the small machine too. Welcome to the QIAD and would love to seee you post pics of your work.

Rhonda

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:05 am

I am trying to quilt on my home sewing machine. I am doing ok. I am sure the Long Arms are better for stretching out the quilt and quilting it as it distributes the weight evenly and smoothly. Post photos of your quilts soon.

SFOQuilter

Post by SFOQuilter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:30 pm

If you were renting an HQ16 and had problems then shame on your LQS or wherever you rented it from. I have been using mine for 1 full year now and have never had one single issue. I don't know how long it takes you to prepare and quilt a 101 x 101 quilt on your Pfaff but I imagine that's where some big differences come in. I can load the backing, batting and top AND free motion quilt a queen size in about three and a half hours from start to finish.

karpet

Post by karpet » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:38 pm

After making my first quilt 19 years ago, I FMQ on my Janome 6500 for the first time tonight. I have been doing SITD for over 15 years, and have struggled so much man-handling full size quilts through the machine that I had almost convinced myself that I just was not good at the quilting part and would keep it as simple as possible and only do what was necessary. Then I read someone suggest a book by Harriet Hargrave "Heirloom Machine Quilting" and I found that a friend had given it to me with some other pattern books a few years ago. So I currently find myself with 4 finished quilt tops that only need to be finished. I read Harriet, I made the microwave chocolate cake (chocolate helps most situations!) and I set out and quilted a whole row tonight! I'm so excited! It is not beautiful work, but I feel like a whole new option has opened up for me!
Karlene

luv_2quilt60

Post by luv_2quilt60 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:33 pm

well, I love quilting on my bernina...but with 2 busted disk in my neck..it's hard pulling and tugging for me..so, am thinking on a HQ 16.....And Yes, Your LQS should of done soemthing to help...Welcome here and we would like pictures..........Beverly

Tulpje

Post by Tulpje » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:15 pm

:)

I MQ-ted for about 1 year on my Juki, which was fine. I even did a Queen Size FMQ on my Juki.

Back in April I bought a Quilt frame that can handle as large as a King Size quilt on it. But my Juki fits on it, which makes it a short arm/mid arm. The Juki has a 9+" throat space, but that space gets limited by the quilt on the up-take bar, which leaves a true 6" quilt space.

What I like about this set-up so far is that I only had to invest an extra 2 grand for the Pinnacle frame, which gives me the opperttunity to practise a lot and see if I really like it well enough to invest money into a LA machine.

IF I do like it enough to invest more money into my quilt 'hobby', Baby Locke is coming out with a LA quilt machine this year which I might like, and else I have my eyes on the Lizy18 (SP).

To be fair, MQ on just about any machine with a decent throat space is pure *FUN*. Before I stared FMQ on my Juki I made a LOT of practise sandwhiches. I used the QIAD MQ book a LOT, and still look through that book once in a while.

Just remember to have *FUN* with it.

*T*

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:32 am

It's easy to walk up to a LA machine at a show and start quilting! Actualy getting a quilt set up in it, getting everything sit right and keeping it set right is one big hassle. I helped a vendor set up a very nice Prodigy LA with small quilt on it. It took a long time to get the machine set right so everyone could walk up and grab hold and say this is fun! and I know I'll not want to go through that everytime I want to machine quilt.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:01 am

I have a B-line frame with a Juki. I usually make twin to queen size quilts. With a quilt that big I can only quilt 4-1/2" swath across because the take up bar takes up space in my machine throat. I usually use pantos 4" - 4-1/2". The BEST thing about my set up is that I do not have to baste or glue together my sandwich. Once we got the frame set up with the leaders all I have to do is pin on my backing, batting and quilt top and I'm good to go. Oh, I do have to change my thread and get my panto taped to the table. All in all it might take me 30 minutes to get ready to quilt something.

Tulpje

Post by Tulpje » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:08 am

:)

I second that Cindyg, now that I have my leader cloths in place with written directions on it which gets pinned where, all I have to do is pin the quilt top onto the leaders. My Panthogram stays in place with a special piece of material under it that came with it. The stylus for the panthogram can be adjusted up to 4". This set-up for ME is DA Bomb right now.

*T*

PS. Cindyg, where do you buy hose disposable bobbins for the Juki?

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”