Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Is this how it's suppose to look? Venting here.

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
norwich

Re: Is this how it's suppose to look? Venting here.

Post by norwich » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:07 am

Sorry you've had such troubles with LA quilters. Gammill offers classes (2 days worth) after you buy a machine from them, and suggest you practice for several months before you open shop. I've had my LA business for 5 years, and I'd say about half of the people bring their own batting, even though I offer Hobb's 80/20 and Quilter's Dream batting. Threads should be buried, that's for sure. After the quilts are done, I use a self-threading needle and bury all of the threads or else they will just come undone after washing the quilt. As far as quilting thread, however, I must say that the cheap stuff is the thin thread and the good stuff is thicker. I like Signature the best. YLI and Gutterman are good too. The cheap stuff is something like Maxi-Lock or Bottom-Line thread, and it's very thin. Please ask these quilters to see samples of their work. Also, ask around and see who other people use. I'm sure like any business, you get the good and the bad.

sewcarolyn

Post by sewcarolyn » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:04 pm

I love my LA quilters but they are both so busy that I have to wait forever to get my quilts back. Their price and work is wonderful though so I am willing to wait for them.They quilt at their store and I pick out the batting and they note it then cut as they get to the quilt.

I have also used another LA quilter that quilts in her home, she is a special education aide in my husband's classroom, her work is incredible and I have had great experiences with her too. I know I will be giving her some work this fall, if her husband's health permits he is currently in critical condition following a heart attack.

ask to see the quilt on their frame and you get a good idea of their typical work.

I would love to get to the point where I can afford a machine and learn to do mine (or have my hubby do it he would like that)In the long run I believe it would be less expensive.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:01 pm

I am sorry that you have had such a hard time with la quilters - did you look at their work when you took them your quilts - I always have quilts on display and am confused when i have a new customer who will just drop one off and not even look at my work before leaving her prized possesion with me - even when i do through the mail i am happy to direct to my website - Skipped stitches do occur on occasion but she should have caught this as she was going along and taken care of it - according to linda taylor videos and classes who is a prize winning quilter and teacher back tracking is perfectly acceptable on certain designs. Thread should be clipped everyonce in awhile there will be a spare thread lurking just like if you quilted it at home. They supposed to be clipped. Tied off is another story if you anchor the thread properly then there is not need for tieing off. I always specify what type of battig i have ad what kind i will accept. I use and have available warm and natural - there are some brands i will not put on my machine. I pay extra for the thick stuff unless it is the real thin silk. Some threads are so slick they come out as fast as you put them in even if you tie them and they are thin. Many LA quilters dont go to classes or shows, some are very skilled at their craft and some are not.

Just like quilters some are very skilled and some are not!

if you are dropping off a quilt ask to see samples of work - see where the quilt is worked on where the quilt will be stored until it is worked on -

if you are doing through the mail - talk to them for awhile - ask if there is a website to look at - and so on

always ask how long the wait is if it is short ask bluntly why

hopefully you will have better luck in the future

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”