Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Machine Info, Pls?

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
crzyquilter81

Machine Info, Pls?

Post by crzyquilter81 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:26 am

Good Morning,
I hope this is in the right "area". I have a chance to buy the machines below at a "good price" from a friend who's mom is now in an Assisted Living facility due to advanced Alsheimers. I haven't gone over to look at them yet and don't really know the price, but am wondering if any of you know about either/both machines? Are they worth owning? Thanks and I'm looking forward to learning alot here. Deanne

Kenmore over lock 3/4

Singer xl1000 with pictall embroidery scanner. Lots of disks and hoops and fabric weights

cindyg

Re: Machine Info, Pls?

Post by cindyg » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:45 am

Wish I could be of some help. I don't know anything about either machine.

lorettav

Post by lorettav » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:38 pm

Don't know anything about either one. Sorry.

beccasmom

Post by beccasmom » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:46 am

Sorry I do not know of these machines, but if they run well and the price is right. It would probably be worth it. I have a kenmore sewing machine which I absolutely love and use it often.

Brenda

northbound

Post by northbound » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:20 am

Hi Deanne,

Well, I don't know anything about either machine either LOL! But you could get an idea of $$$ from similar machines on eBay or Craigslist.com. I think that this forum topic might get overlooked a bit--you could try posting again under Chit Chat.

A few people use overlocks for simple piecing and I know some forum members have embroidery machines, so hopefully you'll get some answers soon!

Sharon C.

spudmom

Post by spudmom » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:48 pm

Deanne, I owned the Singer xl-100 for many years, bought it when they first came out, loved it the whole time I owned it. At this time I was designing and making crafts, used every feature on the machine at some time or another, never a problem with it.

About two years ago I decided to buy a new embroidery machine, looked at all of them, and went with the Singer xl-6000, in many ways very similar to the 100, so the learning curve for me was not to steep. There are many new features to the machine, so I had lots to learn. Still haven't tackled the computer hook-up thing, but now that my sewing room will be "finished" (is one ever finished?) I will get to that.

I believe the 1000 and 6000 are very similar as to operation, don't exactly know the differences in them.

I would also suggest looking at ebay for pricing, and go to one of the online stores for pricing on new ones.

If possible try out the machine before commiting to it, to see if you like the operation of it and to make sure it operates properly. Use the manual to walk yourself through the operation. IF there are problems with the embroidery unit itself, I understand that can be pricey for repair.

I used my 100 for machine quilting, although I have to admit I didn't even call it that! It was for crafting and I just did what I wanted and found out years later that was what I was doing! It was great! No skipped stitches or anything like that. There is a speed control on the machine itself, so if you set it at the lowest setting and then use the start-stop button on the machine, you have really good control, or you can use the foot pedal.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Lynne

busyhands125

Post by busyhands125 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:37 am

I say if the price is right, get it "Price is Right" I would go for it.

You can never go wrong with most machines, If you tried and like good, if you tried and not happy , machines sews very well on ebay,etc. Even yard sales.

They even sound like some I would love to try, I have plain sewing machine.

Pat

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”