Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Good tip for machine quilting.....

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
MastiffMomQlt

Good tip for machine quilting.....

Post by MastiffMomQlt » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:59 am

I have a Baby Lock Quilters Pro Choice that I have for machine quilting. It has a 9 inch harp, which makes a big difference in ease of quilting.

My tip is this: EMBROIDERY NEEDLES!

I was having such issues with my machine skipping stitches, not on every project but on one, which was flannel & another that made no sense why it was skipping. It was ALWAYS a perfect stitch on my test pieces.

I had tried every machine size & type of needle that I had from a top stitch to a denim. It would still skip. I ended up taking it in to have it serviced & I brought the quilt I was having issues with & tested it & it was finally OK, until I got it home & worked with it for 30 min. UGH!!

Then I remembered Sharon Shamber said that she ONLY used embroidery needles, because they were heat tempered which made them stronger & less flexible & have a polished eye, which allows the thread to slip through more easily.

I picked up size 11 & size 14 embroidery (Schmetz) while JoAnnes had 50% off the "Notions Wall" this past weekend & put one of the size 14 in.

Viola! It has been working perfectly!!!! I worked for a few hours yesterday on my quilt & it's been great!

So, it goes back to the principle of simplicity. Skipped stitches = needle. I had tried every single size & type of needle I had to remedy this to no avail, but I didn't HAVE an embroidery needle to try.

OK, so it's a long story and it's not a great story, but it's my story & I'm sticking to it :)

XO

SewSew

Re: Good tip for machine quilting.....

Post by SewSew » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:33 am

Thanks for the tip, I have had this problem in the past and had no idea how to remedy it. I remember hearing that about the heat tempered embroidery needles but never thought of changing mine.LOL I will definitely give it a try now.

Ann

Susie

Post by Susie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:09 am

Thank you! I sometimes thought my machine was possessed!
Susie

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:25 am

Thank you for the tip! My Bernina 630 (with stitch regulator) has been skipping stitches and I decided to try the Top Stitch Needle which I bought this weekend at Jo-Ann's. If that doesn't do the trick I am going to try the Embroidery Needle! Thanks again!

12stepquilter

Post by 12stepquilter » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:01 pm

Thank you so much for this info. I have the same machine but so far have only done two quilts with no problems. But you bet the next time I am out an about I will be picking up some of those needles for the reserve. Again thanks.

Rhonda

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:29 am

I have found that the ballpoint size 14 needles work best to remedy my skipped stitches. Usually buy the Singer brand--they are reasonably priced and work good. Have not tried the embroidery ones.

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:04 am

Caren, thanks for the heads up on this!

bairdmtn

Post by bairdmtn » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:14 pm

Caren,

Do you LOVE your Quilters Choice machine? I'm really looking hard at a Baby Lock as my next machine! I've always sewn on a Singer and mine is 25+ years old now and I am preparing for a NEW ONE!

Thanks!

Mary Jo

MastiffMomQlt

Post by MastiffMomQlt » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi Maryjo,

I really do like my Baby Lock Quilters Choice Pro. It has a much larger area for me to machine quilt. I was used to quilting on my Phaff & loved that but it was tricky to quilt a queen on that but I have done it ;)

Another machine I would suggest looking into is the Juki. It's the same basic thing but they are both really nice, simple straight stitch machines.

If I'm not mistaken, Susanna (Tulpje) has the Juki & she LOVES it :)

Keep me posted on what you decide to buy, OK?

bairdmtn

Post by bairdmtn » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:12 am

Thank you, Caren for the input on your machine! I have no dealer anywhere close to me for any brand of machine. The closest several-brand store is in Knoxville, TN and would be about 65 or so miles away. I don't know a thing about a Juki. Whatever machine I get will have to have a really good manual with it because I will be on my own to learn it! Everyone seems to be so satisfied with their Baby Lock machines and that is why I am looking toward those! Like I said, I've never sewn on anything but a Singer! Thank you so much for your help!

Mary Jo

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”