Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

MACHINE QUILTING: TENSIONS/ Suggestions Helpful

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
1quiltinnana

MACHINE QUILTING: TENSIONS/ Suggestions Helpful

Post by 1quiltinnana » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:45 pm

My tensions are set on 3 and have tried different settings but the "top" thread still shows a little "dot" of thread on the backing of the quilt. The bobbin thread does not show up on the top ....I have machine quilting thread in bobbin and on top needle ( same size thread). I use a 14/90 quilting needle in the machine. Help! Why is my top thread going thru to the backing thread....??? It doesn't do this on any of my other stitching/sewing. My batting is WArm and Natural low loft. Thanks for any suggestions.

cindyg

Re: MACHINE QUILTING: TENSIONS/ Suggestions Helpful

Post by cindyg » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 am

1QN - I wish I could help you but I'm the biggest dunce when it comes to tension. I know someone will be along shortly to answer your question. Are you working on your lovely cat quilt?

Susie

Post by Susie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:30 am

I am anxiously awaiting an answer to this question too. I had the same problem. My machine says the tension should be set on 3 also so that is what I do. On one quilt I had the same problem you are having. I ended up making up a different bobbin, re-threading the machine, moving the dial back and forth and back to 3 and it finally stopped doing it. I do think my machine is possessed though.
Susie

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:27 am

The same tension setting will behave very differently on different fabrics and quilt sandwishes, due to thickness, density and number of layers etc. So, a tension setting that works fine for quilting one quilt may not at all be the right one for the next. I always change the tension every time I start sewing.

Unless there is something wrong with the bobbin (so that it is pulling the thread more than it should), I'd suggest you just gradually increase the top tension until you'e happy. My machine has a preset tension on 3 for free motion quilting, but I often have to increase the tension to beween 6 and 7. This probably goes for a lot of different machines, I'd guess.

If increasing the tension doesn't work, there might be some problem with the bobbin. It might just have been put into the machine in the wrong direction? Just try to take out the bobbin and put it back in again (unless you've already tried that).

luv_2quilt60

Post by luv_2quilt60 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:46 am

Hve you tried Changing the Needle? sometimes tht helps...

petlover

Post by petlover » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:14 am

Another thing to think about - if you have different colored threads even with the same weight or kind, you can have what looks like pokies. With good tension (your stitches look good) you can have it look like it's bad simply because that's how a sewing machine sews. We learned this with the longarm. The thread shows up so well on a light colored backing & we tend to be over critical about it. I'm not sure this is making sense but that's nothing new! LOL
Linda

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:49 pm

Thank you all for your tips on tensions. I tried everything and finally got a little better results with my tension set on 6...using machine quilting thread and a machine quilting needle in size 11. The thread is 50wt. in bobbin and top needle. I appreciate all of your help... Will let you all know how it goes!!

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”