Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Stitch regulators

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Abbigail

Stitch regulators

Post by Abbigail » Sun May 18, 2008 5:32 am

I'm still looking!! LOL! I have a question about stitch regulators. A dealer told me that most people don't use them after they learn to free motion on their own. Is this true? I think I would like a regulator but if it's something that I would probably quit using after I get pratice then I don't want to spend money on it. What's everyone advice? ~Abbigail~

Tulpje

Re: Stitch regulators

Post by Tulpje » Sun May 18, 2008 6:48 am

*Smile*

Abbigail, I just got my LA set up this last week, and I have a stitch regulator. My stitching would be horrible I think without having one.

Now I can concentrate getting used to working with a LA, without having to master the regulations of my stitches. What I heard is (hearsay) that it takes 100 hours of practise to be fully comfortable, and able to do nice quilting.

***Tulpje***

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Sun May 18, 2008 8:06 am

Abbigail, I don't know if you mean for a LA or a regular sewing machine, but I tried a Bernina with a stitch regulator last fall, and found it very very nice, but... I decided it wasn't worth the price of a new machine unless it also had other advantages.

If I've understood it correctly, you can't buy a stich regulator for any home sewing machine but have to buy the machine to go with it. So, I did buy a new machine, but prioritized a very large throat space which I thought would be more important than a stitch regulator when doing free moting. (I didn't find a machine that had both the large throat space and a stitch regulator.) So far, I haven't regretted that choice :-)

Itchn2Bstitchn

Post by Itchn2Bstitchn » Sun May 18, 2008 9:17 am

by stitch regulator, if you mean a quilting foot, that is what I've been using for my straight lines and stitching in the ditch. I have a 1957 machine and it works great! I'm not sure what a stitch regulator is though.

Abbigail

Post by Abbigail » Sun May 18, 2008 10:46 am

I'm sorry , I should have made myself a little clearer. I was asking about regulators on LA quilting machines. I tense up so much whenever I'm doing something that I don't think I could freehand anything! You should see me when I'm crosstitching! I have to stop and tell myself to RELAX..! LOL! That's why I have my doubts about even being able to use a LA quilter.
Tulpje, what kind did you get? Was it a bundled package, with table and all? Questions, questions? Did you get a better deal by getting one at a quilt show (if that's where you got yours).
Thanks, ~Abbigail~

petlover

Post by petlover » Sun May 18, 2008 1:39 pm

Abbigail,
The stitch regulator is great! It can't work miracles though. If you're going around a curve you can still get wonky stitches. You have to slow down & do a consistent speed to let the regulator do its work. If you have a choice & can afford it, I say get the regulator.
Linda

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Sun May 18, 2008 3:58 pm

I have the QCC(Quilter's Cruise Control- stitch regulator) on my frame for my machine. Now, a longarm is a machine OVER 18". My Juki that rides on my frame is a shortarm. I love my QCC, I can go into a tight spot and come out of it, you just control the handles and QCC controls everything else. THe QCC also had the remote switch, you use your thumb to cut your threads, drop the needle, start and stop. It 's well worth the $ to me. Amie :o)

Tulpje

Post by Tulpje » Mon May 19, 2008 10:18 am

*smile*

Abbigail, I bought the Pinnacle LA with stitch regulator, panto's, stylus and laser light. I am using my Juki that I allready had. A Juki is a straight forward sewing machine with large throat space and NO fancy stitching. (Not even zigzag) It is a durable and fast workhorse.

The Pinnacle is sold through the Grace frame company. Buying it at a show....? That's what I did yes, and I'm sure I saved some money on it, BUT......find out what they're selling for at a show, go to your local dealer and let them know at which show and at what price, to see if your local dealer can come close to matching the show's price.
It just took me longer then I liked to to receive all my equipment for the LA that I bought, which truly frustrated me. mMybe if you just include delayed delivery with a BIG price difference it still might be worth to you to buy it at a show.

I am VERY happy once we received my LA, the instruction manual and the dvd of how to put the frame together was very easy for my hubby to work with. He made a comment that he was pleased with that part.

I have practised on my LA since Sat. and am SO glad I have the stitch regulator, so I can concentrate on quilting straighter lines and curved lines without having to worry about the length of my stitch.

I know this was a lengthy reply, I just hope I was able to anwser your questions.

***Tulpje***

Abbigail

Post by Abbigail » Mon May 19, 2008 2:46 pm

Thanks for the info Tulpje, We don't have any quilting machine dealers for about 100 miles around. :( As a matter of fact the closest local quilting shop is about the same distance away! Talk about the boonies! I'll look around the web some more. I hope to be able to go to the Nashville show and try out some machines. I do want a stitch regulator. I may just be dreaming but I sure want one!
~Abbigail~

Tulpje

Post by Tulpje » Mon May 19, 2008 5:29 pm

*Smile*

Abbi, When you go to the show and talk to the dealer there, see if they're willing to throw a stitch regulator into the package for you to finalize the deal. The one on the La Pinnie came with the package, or I just told them all I wanted on it, and he gave me a very sweet deal.

Happy hunting.

***Tulpje***

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”