Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Best way to assemble the quilt before quilting?

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
MOgirl56

Best way to assemble the quilt before quilting?

Post by MOgirl56 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:11 am

OK, here's another question

I don't have a large table to lay out the backing and batting to put the quilt together.

I have noticed that some people use binder clips to hold all the layers together. But I don't have quilting frames either.

Do you all have any suggestions that work for assembling the backing, batting and top, to keep it smooth. I did buy a can of spray adhesive,but I don't have safety pins to pin it, yet.

I have quilting books, but I am interested in your point of view on this.

Thanks,
Linda

sadiedaisy1

Re: Best way to assemble the quilt before quilting?

Post by sadiedaisy1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:30 am

Well, I'm sure this isn't the "best" way, but here's how I do it:

I use the kitchen floor (because it's a tiled floor and it's large enough area to accommodate big quilts). First, I lay out the backing and use painter's tape to hold it down taut (but not stretched), then I put the batting on top, smooth it out and usually tape that down too so it won't move on me, and then I place the quilt top on top. I use curved safety pins and start in the middle of the quilt and work my way around. I know this isn't the easiest way, but I don't have a large enough table either and this works for me. I have tried the basting spray on small quilts, like table runners, but nothing bigger than that.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:21 am

easiest way is find a la quilter and have her baste it for you most that i know including myself will do it for very little

before the long arm i did the lay the back out on the floor right side down - smooth and tape with masking tape want it taught not puckering tight - then smooth batting down and tape then top down and tape top right side up then start in the center and start saftey pinning i do and teach to put your hand down spread your fingers out and make sure you can touch a saftey pin with all five fingers palm of hand in the center and bottom palm of hand when finished remove tape and roll from two sides so you have a blank space to start quilting in center block and two rolls on on either side

sadiedaisy1

Post by sadiedaisy1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:28 pm

I love that idea, gardenquilter. I've never used a LA quilter...about how much in your opinion is a reasonable price to baste a lap size quilt? Also, anything special that you have to do to prepare it for the LA to baste it?

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:08 am

If it's nice weather outside, I pin baste the quilt while it's hanging from a clothesline. I wrap the bottom of the backing and batting on a long board for weight, I use the blue plastic bicycle clips to hold the board.

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:11 am

Sadie call the LA'er and ask her how much larger the backing & batting need to be. Usually 4 inches larger on all sides, than your top is good. Here there is lady my Mom has used that charged $20. But that lady was terribly cheap on her quilting too.

Hugs & Love
Cathy

mic-pa

Post by mic-pa » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:02 am

I lay my large quilts out like Sadiedaisy1 said but I go to my local senior center or to the church social rooms and put two or three tables together and put the quilt on it. I can no longer get down on the floor to pin baste my quilt. If I am hand quilting it I baste it together with needle and thread. Marge

MOgirl56

Post by MOgirl56 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:59 am

Thank you for your comments.

I think I shall just take it to the quilt shop 20 miles away and see if the lady there can let me use her tables to put it together. I certainly hope the actual quilting will not be such a challenge OR:

You may see a huge bon fire in the midwest. That will be me dancing around the fire while my first and last quilt project goes down in flames.

Pass the chocolate bar, please!!!

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”