Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Walkling foot

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Suzquilts

Re: Walkling foot

Post by Suzquilts » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:09 am

It's essential, especially for adding the binding. Good luck!

Suz

Kittyquilt9292

Post by Kittyquilt9292 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:27 pm

When many years ago I took my first class using Eleanor Burns stripping method, I learned to stitch in the ditch with a walking foot. I thought that was the only way to quilt on the machine. Each new machine I got, I got a walking foot for it, cannot think how to do without it. I guess it's all in what you first learn.
Good for you, Judy, it's always a little scarry when you try something new. Glad you went for it! carol/kittyquilt

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:59 am

I have a walking foot with my machine and put on my bindings with it because it seems to help with the process.

Fabricgirl

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:21 am

This is my very first post! I've been reading ALOT though. I have the same problem that Judy had, but I use a walking foot. By the end of the line of stitching (the longer the run, the worse it is!) when I meet a horizonal line of stitching, the top fabric is all bunched up.
I tried to just raise the pressure foot and ease over the top fabric, and it looks a mess.
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Joanne

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:46 am

Hi Joann and welcome!

Since I started to use my walking foot I've never had that problem, so I'm not sure if I'm of any help, but... I always spray baste my quilt sandwiches with the 505 basting spray, and it seems to really do the trick - both when using a regular or walking foot or when using a darning foot for free motion quilting. It secures the layers all over the surface and not just in a few places like safety pins do. I really think it helps, because the top layer just can't "move" or "pull" differently from the other two layers.

If you haven't used it, maybe it is worth a try?

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:07 am

Walking foot works great. No problems.

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:12 am

Thanks Mary!

I've used the basting spray several years ago, when I only did hand quilting. It made it a little harder to quilt through, and was a little difficult to get together, but much faster than pinning or basting with thread. I still have a can and I'm going to try using it on my next quilt. It sounds like a good idea and makes alot of sense!
Thanks again!
Joanne

jochsner

Post by jochsner » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi, I'm new to this group. I have a Kenmore machine that my husband got for me 25 years ago. I am trying to find a walking foot for it and even the company does not carry them for this model any more. Any suggestions on a good machine, but not greatly expensive, for machine quilting. I have done handquilting and wanted to try machine quilting now. Thanks

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:12 am

jochsner,

If you have a sewing machine store nearby you could check out their prices. I know Walmart sells machines at good prices but the sewing stores sometimes have some really good sales. At the store I go to they even have some used machines that have been serviced.

Another place where you can sometimes find really good deals are at a store that services machines. There is one in the town where I work and they always have several used machines for sale that they have serviced. Some even come with some sort of warranty.

Jo Ann

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:01 am

Hi jochsner! I'm new here too! I just bought a Kenmore and I love it! The guy who waited on us said that the Sears Kenmore is really a Janome with the Kenmore "cover". He did not recommend the Singer. It used to be one of the best, but no longer.
I paid about $350. I love the needle down feature! I looked at the machines in the repair shop, but really couldn't afford over $700 for a machine!
Good luck in your search!

Joanne

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”