Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

sewing over pins do you do this????

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Kittyquilt9292

Re: sewing over pins do you do this????

Post by Kittyquilt9292 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:43 am

Using a stiletto, or similar, makes the need for pins less, especially on "long seams". I do pin, though less than I used to. I only had one machine that said you could safely sew over pins, that was the old singer slanto-matic. Don't have it any more because I broke the back up lever and it was stuck. Since it was old, no one could find a new lever, so it went to happy sewing machine land.
I just know if I tried to sew over a pin, the angle would be just perfect for a broken needle! So, I don't test my luck.
By all means, if you don't use a stiletto or similar, try it, you'll love it. carol/kittyquilt

JudyWoo

Post by JudyWoo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:27 pm

I always use pins and try to sew up to the pin, remove the pin, abd then use a stiletto to make sure the seams go under the presser foot correctly.

Another thing about pins. As a rule I'm doing a whole string of pieces and I'll pin the first seam to be stitched .... lets say I use four pins ... and those four pins are the only ones I have out and they are used over and over. The rest of the pins are put aside for later. That way if I reach for that fourth pin and it's not there, I know I've dropped one. That's when I get out of my chair and hunt until I find it. This has saved me a lot of poked toes I'm sure.

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:33 am

I don't like pin, I always end up getting stuck and that hurts, especially with the sharp thin quilting pins. I use a tiny drop of instant holding fabric glue instead. It washes out and doesn't mess up the needle. Roxanne's basting glue is good. I like Clover glue too. Elmer's School glue works great for heat setting.

geriwood

Post by geriwood » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:54 pm

My favorite pins are the Clover fine quilting pins. They are long and sharp. I do not sew over pins. I think it cold damage the sewing project and the machine. My Bernina dealer said it is not a good idea. Geri

jacquie2

Post by jacquie2 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:55 pm

I never sew over pins anymore. Trying to be real careful with my Designer 1, I was advised not to run over pins. And of course, I missed a pin once...my needle hit it, bent the pin and broke the needle. The part of the needle that broke off, fell down under the bobbin case, down in the workings of the machine. It cost me almost $150 to have the dealer break down the machine and clean/service just to find the broken piece. Not to mention the 4 hr hour round trip drive (twice). Dealer did say it was cheaper to make sure the needle didn't land somewhere it should, versus assuming it didn't and it do extreme damage.
Happy Trails, jacquie

Evie

Post by Evie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:30 am

The only time I sew over pins is when I know the fabric will shift if I remove them. Then, I just hand turn the wheel and go that slow over it. That way, I will know if it's going to hit the pin and I can pull the needle up.

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:24 am

when I paper piece I use those small applique pins then you won't run the risk of damageing the machine.

fabricgirl

beccasmom

Post by beccasmom » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:50 pm

Oh gosh no. I accidently ran over one the other week and it jammed in my machine. I was able to get it out but it broke my needle and the pin was ruined of course.

Brenda

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:52 am

I used to sew over pins all the time, then when I started quilting I stopped. My friend was sewing and ran over a pin, hit it, and it messed up the timing on her nice new machine....so, I don't sew over them anymore.

mamaw

Post by mamaw » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:08 am

I try to use the needle-down position; and that way the fabric stays in place while I pull out the pins as I come to them. Much safer than trying to sew over them.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”