Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Picking a quilting, embrodiery general machine#post

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
TEXSUN46

Picking a quilting, embrodiery general machine#post

Post by TEXSUN46 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:58 pm

I am interested in buying a machine that quilts, does embrodiery and regular sewing. I have sewed for years and have a Pfaff 1471, bought in 1986 that I love and it still runs real good. I am looking at a used 2003D Brother or Inno-vis (haven't been given a price yet). Any input on these machines.

cindyg

Re: Picking a quilting, embrodiery general machine#post

Post by cindyg » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:02 am

Texsun - I don't have one of those 'do all' machines so I can't help you. Have fun with whatever you get.

Grammy2

Post by Grammy2 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:53 am

You might post this is chit chat. More people hang out there.
grammy2

CoyoteQuilts

Post by CoyoteQuilts » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:02 pm

I have a brother 2002D with embroidery and sewing. I only use this machine for embroidery. I fyou have an IDT (built in walking foot) on your pfaff I would advise you to keep it and get that embroidery machine. I also have a pfaff 7570 which is also an embroidery machine, but I only use it for piecing & sewing.

You ask why?? Well, the embroidery on the pfaff has a 2 very small hoops. I can not do anything bigger than a 4x4 inch design. The brother embroidery has 4 hoops and I can do a 5x7 inch design without re-hooping. The software to digitize your own designs is easier to work with when you work with the brother machine over the pfaff machine.

When you are piecing with the pfaff & IDT you can see what you are stitching, but with the brother you have to have an attached walking foot & for me they are a pain.

When the brother 2002D-2003D came out they were about 5000.00 dollars. The one I got had a price tag of 3995.99 including the software. The software alone is about 1500.00 dollars when it was new. I will tell you that I practically stole this machine. The gal I bought if from just wanted to get rid of it & I got both machine & software for 1/8th of the price her DH paid for it.

If the person will let you test drive it, please do. Take some material that you will use on it & try it. Check the tension on the thread. Also have a design sewn out with the embroidery.

Have fun & good luck,
Sharon V.

TEXSUN46

Post by TEXSUN46 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:44 am

Thanks so much for you imput. I don't know much about these machines and find them very intimidating. I want a "simple" version and not the Cadillac version. I'm afraid if I get one to complecated I won't use it. A lady I know is going to upgrade and sell these 2 machines and I wanted an idea of what they might be worth. I'll keep doing research on them.

Sharon C

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”