Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Broken needle

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
JudyWoo

Broken needle

Post by JudyWoo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:24 pm

I was working on a project tonight and stitching in the ditch, and suddenly my needle broke. Part of it was still stuck in the machine, but the pointed end broke into two pieces. The piece with the sharp point flew towards me and stuck in my sweater just below my face and the other piece was on the quilt top. I always take my glasses off for close-up work because I see better that way and I cringe to think that a piece could have gone into my eye.

I put my glasses on after that, but couldn't see a darn thing so I took them off again. Have any of you had this happen?

Judy

kadie

Re: Broken needle

Post by kadie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:26 pm

No. Hasn't happened to me, but it doesn't sound good. Thank goodness you are OK!! Sounds like a VERY close call!!

JudyWoo

Post by JudyWoo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:38 pm

I gotta admit, it scared me ... not when it happened cuz' it was so fast, but after I realized what happened I immediately thought "what would I have done" because I was home alone at the time. I've never had that happen before.

Judy

roseytoes

Post by roseytoes » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:03 am

Wow! glad your OK, thats scary. Maybe the needle just weakened and broke. Is your machine OK or did it jamm up?

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:31 am

JudyWoo - close call! I have had that happen before. The sharp point of the needle, about 1/8", broke off and hit me on the cheek then landed on the bed of my machine. It happens so fast. I have to wear my 'cheaters' while sewing so hopefully nothing will fly into my eyes. You might consider getting a pair of glasses with plain lenses for protection. I'm glad you weren't hurt this time.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:25 am

i have had needles break and sometimes they do fly - had one hit me in face once actually it felt like it went it eye - could not get eye open to look and was very blurring - phone is on sewing stand so a called a friend who has a key to my house and she came let herself in and looked - it had hit my eyelid only i was very lucky - try to be more careful since then have thought of goggles

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”