Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

OT - Puerto Rico anyone??

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
Cathy32078

Re: OT - Puerto Rico anyone??

Post by Cathy32078 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:34 am

Well Sister, if this is what you & your DH would like to do and can, I say do it. Best to not have to live with regrets, is what I like to think. Lizards wouldn't scare me I don't think? Snakes, spiders, scorpions well now that is a different story.LOL It would be so cool if you could go and check it all out!!!!! As long as there are Quilt Shops, I'd sure think about it seriously.

Hugs

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:26 am

DH talked to a real estate agent down there, and he said that he have never seen a spider.

Cathy - are you and your DH coming to visit us there??

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:54 am

WOW! A visit? You betcha! Never been out of the US but gotta be a 1st for everything. When do you think this may happen? Are yall really really serious?

kenderosa

Post by kenderosa » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:01 pm

Cindy- Will you still be able to make Paducah in April??? You could build your stash before you move. Maybe you could open up a quilt shop in PR. Be a first??

sewingbee44

Post by sewingbee44 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:03 pm

I'm Boriqua(Puerto Rican)That's the original name to the Indians when the Dutch landed there hundreds of years ago.It's my second home whenever I can get there.I love it there! My mother was born there in 1940.It's very tropical if you like the humidity.Great for the skin.The beaches are awesome.They do speak English,but the majority is Spanish.And let me tell you it's a different dialic.I was raised with the Mexican dialic,because my Father is Mexican.When I heard the P.Rs talk,it sounded like a whole different language.Even after all these years when my GreatAunt talks to me I tell her "Slow down I need to read the subtitles"!My first husband is P.R.and I had to learn special dishes they make(my Mom hates cooking).If you like being on an island.It dosen't get colder than 78 degrees.You do get your hurricans.Girl I would jump on that.!!!If I had the means I would move there.My last visit there was in 96.I did not want to come home.I was at the beach till the last minute.My friend had errands to do that day before taking me to the airport.She left me at the beach close to San Juan,when she picked me up I still was in my suit.I got in the car and while she was driving I changed to my clothes.The gentleman that sat next to me on the plane was a bodyguard for Shakacon and Tower of Power was on the plane also.He said were you at the beach?you still have sand on you.I said yes and Loved every minute of it!There's everything there MickeyD's,Burger King malls.There are some places just like everywhere else you have to be careful.But otherwise Go For It!Anything else you want to know PM me-Adios-Yvette

sewingbee44

Post by sewingbee44 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:24 pm

P.S.About the lizards there's little lizards around the houses,but they don't bother you.They are looking for insects,you need them.You have your coquis,they are small little frogs that sing at night.They are the size of your thumb.They don't bother you also.When they sing alot you know it's going to rain.During the summer months the schedule is usually,an hour of rain in the afternoon and then it rains later in the evening till dawn.Then it's all fresh beautiful.The crime rate is high around Sandulce,Rio Piedras, Carolina.The country is awesome!If you seen the movie with Jodi Foster "Contact" it was filmed in Puerto Rico.I had a friend who worked for Warner Bros.and he was offered that assignment.He asked me if he should go since he had never been there.And like I told you I said:"Go for it"!He had such a blast and he made new friends there.The smaller towns are very nice and the people are friendly.There's El Junke-the rainforest with it's waterfalls and you can go hiking and swimming.There's caves to explore.Girl I can go on and on.Have I convinced you yet.But yes there are spiders and snakes,It's the tropics that's their home.Snakes are mostly out in the country and mountains just like here.Don't worry-BE HAPPY:))))

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:03 pm

OK - Yvette, you'll have to check your PMs!!! I'm sure that I can think of a question or two!!!

This is looking better and better all the time... just have to get through an operation or two, get packed and moved - oh, yeah, little details like selling the house here, and selling vehicles... well, I'm sure if it's in His Plan, it will come to be!

Tulpje

Post by Tulpje » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:40 pm

*smile*

Cindy I would say GO for it. Distance from family does not matter all that much anymore these days. MSN through the I-net helps a lot with that also.

I made a big and gutsy move to come to the US. I have never regretted it. Sure I get homesick, especially with the Holidays, but now that all the kids have moved out, we can go to Holland whenever we want to.

Moving to a foreign country is just such a fabulous experience. Learning their language and their customs, it just opens up a whole new world. Go for it and let me know if you REALLY would like a visitor to come over. I would be there in a heartbeat.

When we moved to Austin TX. from Holland it was a culture shock for me. I too had to get used to snakes, spiders and scorpions. And crickets...OH my Gosh...Can you imagine having to slip slide over a road of crickets?....We had our home fumegated once a month

I hope you and your hubby will GO for it. Make sure to arrange for propper health insurances and such. I don't know what they have available for that there.

I am excited for you!!!!!!!!!!! Go..Go..Go...before you change your mind.

***Tulpje***

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:57 pm

Why not just rent/lease out your house. One less thing to do before you leave and that way you have a place to come back to if you want or need to. We moved to Oregon for a year and then came back to California. So glad we rented out our house or we could not have afforded to come back.

Sounds exciting!
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:11 am

We've been trying to rent a house we own here, and haven't had rent for a year, and it's been occupied for all but 4 months... We had to go to small claims court and get a judgement and then go back to get garnishment because previous tenants wouldn't pay. We're tired of trying to rent and coming out worse for it. We have $2,000 worth of damages to get fixed, and absolutely no chance of recouping from the tenant that did it-so much for first impressions of people, huh? I don't think that guy kept a job for more than 3 weeks.

PR has VA healthcare, so we're set on that!

Cindy

PS I can't find a negative to this move!

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”