Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Want to know what terminolgy means

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
javin22

Want to know what terminolgy means

Post by javin22 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:14 pm

I am new to this, and was wondering what round robins, jelly rolls, swaps, ect, are. Please explain these to me, so I will know if I want to participate in any of them. thanks so much.
Update:)
Thank you all for your help. I will be going through my stash and start a swap. Thank you all again. Vinae

CindyB

Re: Want to know what terminolgy means

Post by CindyB » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:54 pm

ok - I'll give it a whirl.

A round robin is when a group of quilters get together. Each one makes a medallion, say 18x18 inches. When they are done with this, they pass it off to the next person. That person puts an appropriate border on the center, and passes it on.... etc.

Jelly Rolls are 2-1/2" strips of fabric the width of the fabric (44-45"), usually 40 of them. They are usually rolled up (like a fire hose), and tied.

Swaps are when you make a certain number of blocks, and send them in to the 'host' of the swap. When all participants send in their blocks, they are switched around and sent back to everyone - so you can get 20 blocks of the same (or different) pattern, made by 20 of your fabulous quilting friends! Usually, when you send your blocks off, you include a postage-paid envelope so the host doesn't have to have the expense of mailing back!

How does that sound? I think I covered it....

Leetec

Post by Leetec » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:29 pm

Good job, Cindy! One more thing, swaps can also include FQ's and charm squares, too.

javin22

Post by javin22 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:01 pm

Thanks for helping me with all this. What is a charm square, medallion, holiday exchange, recycled stash, ect. So how does the jelly roll work, do you send a jelly roll to someone and they take that one and send a different one to someone else? I want to understand the whole process. I have never heard of some of these terms and want to know what it is all about. I have a stash and might want to join in on some of these. Thanks for all your help. Vinae

Leetec

Post by Leetec » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:40 pm

A charm square varies in size based on what the Host decides for the particular swap. The one that is going on now is for 5 inch squares. Each person is sending the host (Me, in this case) 31 baggies containing 2 different 5" squares. When all of them are here, I will sort them and send them back out. When the swap is over, each person will have 62 5" squares of fabric.
A medallion is the center square for the Round Robin. It varies in size but is usually 12 to 22 inches. The particular Round Robin we are doing now has a holiday theme. Some are doing Fall, some Christmas, mine is Valentines, July 4th, etc.
For the Recycled Stash one person pulled 12 yards of fabric from her stash in various sizes: 1yd down to FQ's, put each fabric in a baggie and labeled them. The she sent it to the next person who "shopped" the fabric, adding from her stash what she took out and sent it to the next person. For example, I took out 1 yard, 2 1/2 yards and 3 FQ's so I replaced that with equal amounts of my stash fabric and sent it on. The person who started the swap will get all the fabric that is swapped in the end.

I'm not sure how the Jelly Roll swap works, I haven't done that one yet.
Please, continue to ask questions! It keeps us our toes! :)
GB...
Lee

javin22

Post by javin22 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:50 pm

Oh, so that's how they work. Sounds like fun. I want to join in on some of these. I would like the rules posted with each different swap ect. so I can understand what to do. Also a date if they are closed ect. I would love to swap some of my fabric. I have lots of pastels and I no longer like pastels. I am in to anything cabin, lodge look rich earth colors ect. Hey thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. Vinae

Leetec

Post by Leetec » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:45 am

Keep checking this catagory and I'm sure there will be many more swaps starting an minute. If you want, you could come up with one of your own and start that. We'd all help you and it's a lot of fun to host. :)

javin22

Post by javin22 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:56 am

Oh, this is exciting! So what are the rules about recycled stash? Is it supposed to be 12 yards or any amount? Does it have to be varied amounts or can it be a few large pieces that people can just cut off what they want? Can I put all different kinds of prints like Christmas, halloween, pastels in or keep it to one kind. Does it have to be 100% cotton? Thanks for your help. Vinae

Leetec

Post by Leetec » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:56 pm

Everyone has different guidelines for different swaps so we go by what the host/hostess thinks is best.

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:54 am

The rules are usually posted by the host.

On a lot of them, they are buried in the responses, but now tht we have the edit feature, I've been doing that on the Fall Block Swap - just editing the original post, so that everyone knows what's going on.

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”